Booking seats on trains or not required?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 8:52:26 #812044

Hi, I have read much info on the forum – very useful!

I am just a bit concerned about August being so busy and the suggestion is that train seats need to be booked.

We arrive August 8th to Geneva airport then next day early by train to Zermatt for 4 days, then Wengen for 4 days then to Lucerne for 3 days then depart via Zurich 20th.

We have a swiss 15 day travel pass, but we want to be able to plan our journeys and be sure we can get seats. we also plan to do the mountain loops from Zermatt and Jungfraujoc from wengen.

What is the suggestion on booking – or even if it is possible to book these routes?

Thanks

mike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:17:04 #864206

Hi Mike,

Virtually all trains in Switzerland are not reservable. Some are possible, check here for more details.
    The only trains that must be reserved are the panoramic trains – otherwise reservations aren’t made 95% of the time.

It is possible that some trains will be busy and you may have to stand for brief periods (as people come and go).

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 20:04:12 #864207

Lucas, you are there every day, and I am not. Still, my recent experience has been that there are always seats available, except on some commuter trains to/from major cites during rush hour.

Train ridership has been increasing, so my data may be obsolete.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 23:53:47 #864208

Hi

We have been holidaying in Switzerland for last 16 years mostly in July and August and the only time we have reserved seats on a train was for Glacier Express – compulsory. I can only recall difficulty finding a seat once on a regular train from Brig to Zermatt when it happened to be first day in ages without rain so everyone had had same idea as us to make the trip!

As Slowpoke says occasionally rush hour commuter routes can be busy but we tend not to travel at those times anyway. So I don’t think you need to reserve seats. Not reserving gives you much greater flexibility to change plans for the day when you have had chance to see weather forecast or you decide to make a detour or stop off somewhere for a while en route.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 5:49:03 #864209

Thanks everybody – your advice is most helpful.

We look forward to our Swiss adventure !

Mike

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:24:07 #864210

Hey Slowpoke,

Yes, the only time I’ve had to stand are on trains heading into or out of Zurich at rush hour.
    On trips to Luzern, Bern, Basel Chur etc. I have always found a seat (but its only me or my wife and I) so that is always easy.

• The thread ‘Booking seats on trains or not required?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.