Booking Pilatus & Rigi excursions in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 21:54:50 #815294

Hi, I have seen some references made on the forum but nothing definitive, in July will I need to book any boat, cog, cable car tickets in advance as I am assuming it will be peak season? Or will we be able to use the transport through the Tell Summer Pass with no issues?

The plan is:

Friday

Go see the Lion monument

Kapellbrücke / chapel bridge

Saturday

Cog wheel train to Pilatus

Sunday

Half day in Rigi mountain

Cruise on Lake Lucerne

Monday

Burgenstock panoramic viewpoint = Hammetscwand Lift

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 23:15:01 #882122

Bookings aren’t necessary on any of those activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 23:56:46 #882123

Hi welshwizard,

As rockoyster confirmed, bookings (i.e. reservations) aren’t necessary on any of the trips you mentioned. To be precise, reservations aren’t even possible. It’s first come, first served.

In July it will definitely be crowded, so go early and be prepared to queue.

For your Rigi excursion, if going by boat to Vitznau, the first people off the boat will fill the waiting train. If it is too crowded, you can wait for the next train, and get on it just before the next boat arrives.

With your Tell-Pass, you will still need to go to the ticket window to get a (free) ticket with a magnetic strip to get you through the turnstiles for any cable cars and the Pilatus cogwheel train.

The queue at Alpnachstad for the Pilatus cogwheel train can get long, but you might also be able to get your (free) ticket at the Tourist Information in Lucerne, so I would try that first before heading out to Alpnachstad.

They tend to give you a round-trip ticket by default (up by cogwheel, down by cableway or vice versa). If you want to go both ways by cogwheel train, mention this. I didn’t think to do so, and my ticket wouldn’t get me through the turnstile at the top for the trip back in the cogwheel train. However, the attendants at the turnstile simply swapped my ticket for a (free) “Streckenwechsel” (change of route) ticket, which then got me through the turnstile to return in the cogwheel, the same way I had come up.

The Hammetschwand Lift is not inluded in your Tell-Pass. It will cost CHF 13.00 return or CHF 10.00 one way.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 0:16:10 #882124

As a general rule, all Swiss mountain uphill transport is unreservable. You can buy tickets in advance or at the base station and then queue – first come fist served.

On small point about Luzern. Did you realise that much of the Kapellbrücke only dates from 1994 (following a disastrous fire on the bridge in 1993 …)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 12:01:39 #882125

Yes the only mountain trip that had reservable times (other than Jungfraujoch) was Stanserhorn for 5chf (then you got a coupon for 5chf to use at the gift shop or restaurant I think….)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 12:02:53 #882126

I did know that! But Tourism Lucerne & Switzerland gets upset if you spread it around ;).
    One of my German teachers told me that in a very hushed tone one day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 12:36:10 #882127

Thank you all

When you talk about long queues, typically how long a wait are they? 20 minutes?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 14:02:55 #882128

I’ve seen waits at Pilatus of about an hour…so I’d say 20 – 60 minutes on a very busy day. The worst is when you get there just behind a tour bus 🙁

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 April 2018 at 16:02:31 #882129

If you want to avoid queues in high season then it helps to schedule your day atypical, if that makes sense. So don’t get up at a reasonable time, have breakfast and start your day trip. Get up early, or really late 🙂 And as Alpenrose said, for Pilatus it can help to start at the other side of the mountain.

• The thread ‘Booking Pilatus & Rigi excursions in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.