May 12, 2018 - 8:02 PM
Today I bought tickets for Paris to Basel. I used Trainline and today is first date I could buy tickets. We are travelling from Paris to Basel on September 12. Cost for 2nd class seats is euro 58.00 for 2 adults. TGV Lyria 9211 departing 10:23, arriving Basel 13:26. Tickets were emailed to me for printing. I also added trip to Trainline app so have e-ticket I can show on train as well. Easy, peasy.
Not so easy is deciding what train passes to buy. No surprise, right. I think 90% of posts are about what pass to buy.
I have labored over the spreadsheet for hours and hours. We are not "let's plan every minute" kind of people. I have lots of thing on my to see/do list. What we will ultimately end up doing , who knows. I don't Pretty sure we will not go up to Junfraujoch. So, I decided we will go with the Berner Oberland pass along with a half fare card.
This sums up the travel between moves we will be doing:
1. Buy ticket Basel - Wengen
2. BO pass for 10 days
3. Buy ticket Brig - Zermatt
4. Buy ticket Zermatt - St. Moritz on Glacier Express
5. Upper Engidine 4 days using free local pass from hotel.
6. Going to Lugano on Bernina Express. I think some part of this may be covered on local pass. Not sure, but will have to purchase ticket. We are 4 nights in Sils Maria.
7. Buy Lugano - Luzern on GPEX.
8. 3 nights in Luzern. Have not researched this part much. Not sure there is a local free pass. Will use half fare card here.
9. Buy ticket Luzern - Basel and onward back to Paris.
We are 21 in Switzerland. Next time I will be pay attention to rail passes and plan trip around the duration of those.