Brienzer Rothorn and Lake Brienz cruise

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2016 at 13:28:54 #809618

Hello,

I wish to travel to Brienz Rothern in the cog wheel train and go on a boat cruise on lake Brienz. I have a few doubts that I would like to get clarified:

– If I travel from Wengen to Interlaken Ost, is the steam train station a short walk away from the Interlaken OST train station?

– I will be making a return trip on the steam train. Will it then stop at Brienz?

– Is it possible to go on a boat cruise from Brienz to Interlaken? The website http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakebrienz, states that the boat departs from Interlaken.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2016 at 16:06:25 #853837

Hello Traveller 3

Travel from Wengen to Interlaken Ost by train, changing in Lauterbrunnen. From Interlaken Ost take train to Brienz. The train to Brienzer Rothorn leaves from its own departure station across the road from Brienz railway station. The trip to the top takes about an hour. When you come back down you can catch a boat back to Interlaken Ost – you will see the boat station is close to the railway station. When you get off the boat you will see signs directing you to the trains for your return trip to Wengen – be sure to board the correct section of the train for Lauterbrunnen as the train splits at Zweiluetschinen and half goes to Grindelwald. It is clearly marked on the side of the train as to which section goes where.

Enjoy the trip.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2016 at 8:46:39 #853838

Thank you Maggie for your detailed response.

Could you please let me know from where I can find the time table and cost for the boat you have referred to, from Brienz to Interlaken OST.

I have checked the timetable on the website http://www.bls.ch/e/schifffah rt/fahrplan.php, but its quite difficult to understand. I am hoping to travel to Brienz on the 2nd of September. Will there be hourly departures? Even a rough idea of the cost would be ok.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 July 2016 at 11:14:19 #853839

Hi Traveller3,

If you know your travel date you can download the appropriate timetable (spring, summer, autumn) from the link you mentioned. Departure times from Brienz are listed as “Brienz (See)”. All boats are in the national timetable as well, but you will have to select “boats only” in the advanced settings or else it will show the faster connections by train.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2016 at 13:39:12 #853840

Hello Traveller3:

I empathize with the difficulty you are having reading the boat timetables. They do require some study to familiarize yourself!

During Autumn season on Lake Brienz (which includes 2 September) boats leave Brienz bound for Interlaken Ost at 10:40 am, 12:40 pm, 1:40 pm, 3:40 pm and 5:40 pm. The journey takes one hour 13 minutes. See full schedule details at http://www.bls.ch/d/schifffah rt/fahrplan-brienz-herbst-16.pdf

One way prices are approximately 15 CHF second class, 25 CHF first class. If you buy the tickets for your entire day’s journey at the same time there are usually special discounts that apply. In your example, from Wengen train station staff buy Wengen to Brienz (changing at Interlaken Ost) by train, Brienzerrothornbahn return tickets for the steam train up and down, one way boat tickets from Brienz to Interlaken Ost, then train tickets from there back to Wengen. Last time we did this we got a pretty substational price break even with our Half Fare Cards. It also means you buy tickets only once and don’t have to think about it again during the day. Tickets are good for any time of day, you are not restricted to a certain train or boat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2016 at 15:00:34 #853841

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2016 at 15:05:41 #853842

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much. I tried to read the timetable, but it was quite frustrating trying to figure it out.

Please let me know from where I can buy tickets for the entire day’s journey? I will be setting off from Wengen. The plan you have set out above is exactly what I have in mind. Would the staff at the relevant station/kiosk advice on any special discounts if I purchase all the tickets at once?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2016 at 15:54:36 #853843

You can buy all the tickets at the staffed ticket window at Wengen station and, yes, they will have any corresponding discounts. They put packages like this together all the time.

Should your travel plans also include Ballenberg Open Air Museum (which is just fantastic) staff at train station can put all that together for you as well. I don’t know what the discounts are this year but last year when we bought everything at once with our Half Fare Cards the additional discounts were such that museum entrance ended up being nearly free (vs something like 20 CHF)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2016 at 16:01:15 #853844

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. You have made things that much more clearer and easier for me.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 July 2016 at 16:41:59 #853845

Hi Traveller3,

Just a note that you don’t need any tickets if you buy the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland as discussed in your other thread. This applies to many other passes as well. In case of the Swiss Half Fare Card you would indeed need to buy (discounted) tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2016 at 17:06:42 #853846

Hi Arno,

Noted. I am trying to calculate the total cost and then decide on an appropriate pass.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2016 at 18:31:13 #853847

oh in that case the one way prices are approx 43 CHF first class, 25 second.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 0:56:46 #853848

Got it. Thanks Kim.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 2:20:57 #853849

I would like to plan similar boat trips with cogwheel train/steam train from Lucerne, what is the best round trip option ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2016 at 2:25:01 #853850

Never mind, I will do from interlaken west since I will be staying 4 nights there, I guess I will have to travel to interlaken ost station first, to use combination of boat ,cogwheel and steam train and cover all this

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2016 at 7:15:07 #853851

Hi Chandra,

The cogwheel train (sometimes steam) departs from Brienz, please see myswissalps.com/ brienzerrothorn to find further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2016 at 18:24:47 #853852

Hi Kim

I’d really like to get a copy of your 20 page document on walks in the Bernese Oberland (mentioned

in a post back in 2010) if you don’t mind. Not sure how to direct message you with my email address though?

Caliago

Annika
    7103 posts
    10 July 2016 at 19:41:18 #853853

Hi Caliago,

You can download it here.

• The thread ‘Brienzer Rothorn and Lake Brienz cruise’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.