Is bringing a 18 months old to Mt Titlis safe?

Is bringing a 18 months old to Mt Titlis safe?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
vignesh
vignesh
5 posts
Sep 23, 2017 - 3:33 AM

helo, my family and i will be visiting engelberg this october. and We will be visiting Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus. We have a 18 months old baby...i am worried to bring him up the the mountains ( altitude sickness and the cold ). how safe is it to bring him.... is it common for tourist to bring their little once up there? thank you. vicky

fredch
fredch
32 posts
Sep 23, 2017 - 7:47 AM in reply to vignesh

Assuming your child is otherwise healthy, I think a trip to a mountain top is safe. Altitude sickness is quite sporadic even in the same individual, so I would put it down the list of things with which to worry. Headache and vomiting would be a reason to abandon the trip and go lower immediately. Of more concern would be the fact that children normally have less developed ear tubes and nasal sinuses. The lower air pressure at altitude might affect them with ear pain. This is the reason that young children frequently cry on airplanes especially with ascents and descents. Should the ears become painful, then descent would likely be curative. If the baby is happy, I would not worry. If fretful, that would concern me. Perhaps sucking on a bottle or pacifier would help that. The odds are in your favor.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3381 posts
expert
Sep 23, 2017 - 9:02 AM in reply to vignesh

Hi vignesh and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You should read the warning towards the bottom of this page www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

Last modified on Sep 23, 2017 - 9:03 AM by rockoyster
vignesh
vignesh
5 posts
Sep 26, 2017 - 3:15 PM

thank you.

fredch
fredch
32 posts
Sep 26, 2017 - 5:00 PM in reply to vignesh

Like the rest of the world, the corporate Swiss are litigation conscious. Pilatus is not Himalayan. Anyone of any age should stay out of the heights if ill. A pressurized airplane has you at about 7,000 feet above sea level.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018