Is bringing a 18 months old to Mt Titlis safe?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 3:33:52 #813333

helo, my family and i will be visiting engelberg this october. and We will be visiting Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus. We have a 18 months old baby…i am worried to bring him up the the mountains ( altitude sickness and the cold ). how safe is it to bring him…. is it common for tourist to bring their little once up there? thank you. vicky

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    23 September 2017 at 7:47:30 #870090

Assuming your child is otherwise healthy, I think a trip to a mountain top is safe. Altitude sickness is quite sporadic even in the same individual, so I would put it down the list of things with which to worry. Headache and vomiting would be a reason to abandon the trip and go lower immediately. Of more concern would be the fact that children normally have less developed ear tubes and nasal sinuses. The lower air pressure at altitude might affect them with ear pain. This is the reason that young children frequently cry on airplanes especially with ascents and descents. Should the ears become painful, then descent would likely be curative. If the baby is happy, I would not worry. If fretful, that would concern me. Perhaps sucking on a bottle or pacifier would help that. The odds are in your favor.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 September 2017 at 9:02:47 #870091

Hi vignesh and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You should read the warning towards the bottom of this page http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2017 at 15:15:55 #870092

thank you.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    26 September 2017 at 17:00:18 #870093

Like the rest of the world, the corporate Swiss are litigation conscious. Pilatus is not Himalayan. Anyone of any age should stay out of the heights if ill. A pressurized airplane has you at about 7,000 feet above sea level.

• The thread ‘Is bringing a 18 months old to Mt Titlis safe?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.