Budget question for Swiss meals and mountain trips

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    21 November 2017 at 17:12:51 #813712

I was going to budget $30pp for lunch $40 pp for dinner (those not included) and $20pp for extra snacks during the day. We will eat at more local/casual spots and some items from Migros or Coop. I also budgeted $50per day of tourism fees (museums, etc.). I have put the Swiss Pass ($500 pp) in it’s own budget line. Is this reasonable? Or, what do you suggest!

Looking at the overall budget, there seems to be a lot of $ spent for tickets to the top of the mountains. Is the view from Murren or Wengen enough? Or, is it worth it to pay for a trip up? Also, I think I saw that in 2018 the trip above Murren will be free? Do you know if that is true?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 17:57:40 #872219

The average lunch would be about 25-30chf (about $25-$30usd) and dinner about 30-40chf. That would be the meal only not including drinks.

I think you mean Swiss Travel Pass not Swiss Pass?

Well the mountains are what most people come here for – and most like to go up to the top for the views. Of course, the views from the villages are good too I think – just different. I might try to go up to at least one. 🙂

The trip to Schilthorn will be free in 2018 with the Swiss Travel Pass yes. They are switching it with Mt. Pilatus (Lucerne) essentially which will no longer be free. You can see the changes to the pass for 2018 here. Some mountains are free, like Mt. Pilatus, in 2017 on the Swiss Travel Pass so you can always focus on those if that is when you are traveling?

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    21 November 2017 at 18:05:42 #872220

Thank you!

I just posted an itinerary that I hope works to fit in Mt. Titlis (Which seems really cool and snow covered), plus Mt. Schillthorn which should cover the Mt. Tops, plus staying in Wengen will offer great views I think.

I very much appreciate your insight!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 18:09:37 #872221

Yes, those two mountains should keep you happy – along with the views from Wengen (both mountains are 50% with the Swiss Travel Pass in 2017; Schilthorn becomes free in 2018.

• The thread ‘Budget question for Swiss meals and mountain trips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.