Bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis

Bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have booked my accommodation in Sarnen for two days, and i have decided to go visit Lake Lungern and also i would like to visit Melchsee -Frutt and Mt. Titlis. I was exploring the www.sbb.ch/en website to understand if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis but could not find any information on this, the other option i have is to travel by train and this would require me to travel to Lucerne and back again to Sarnen. which i am hoping to avoid.

I was unable to find if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis, could someone please help me out on this.

Also, i would like some suggestions whether Melchsee-Frutt and Mt. Titlis can be covered in a single day. If not which would be a better place to visit?....

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Prathik

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 13, 2018 - 2:36 PM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Pratheek,

There is no direct bus from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis. It's not impossible to do them both on the same day, but you will spend at least 51/2 hours on trains, buses and cable cars.

Depending on when you are traveling (June or later) and if you like hiking, I found the following alternative on the forum:

"From Melchsee-Frutt you hike to Tannalp to Engstlenalp to Engstlensee where you will board another gondola to Jochpass and on to Titlis. The hike is quite flat but about 2-3 miles long (not sure). I suggest it is be doable for a 6 year old only because I have hiked it with 80+ year old women and they did fine plus on a clear day the scenery is fantastic!"

Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 3:15 PM

Hi Chantal,

Thank you very much for the response. I would be travelling in the second week of May, do you suggest taking a hike at this period???.

Best,

Prathik

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 13, 2018 - 5:32 PM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Prathik,

May is too early. There might still be some snow or it's melting and making the path muddy. I also found out that it's not 3 miles. It's over 6 miles. So it's not an option.

Arno
Arno
10348 posts
expert &
Mar 13, 2018 - 6:16 PM

Hi Prathik,

I'd recommend to stick to hiking trails below 1500 m or so (but check when you're there!). You'll find suggestions here: www.myswissalps.com/la kelucerne/activities.

Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 14, 2018 - 5:01 AM

Hi guys,

Looked around a bit and looks like there is an effective way to travel Engelberg and Melchsee-Frutt. So this is what i intend to do -

1. Sarnen to Stans - by Bus.

2. Stans to Engelberg by Train.

3. Engelberg to Mt. Titlis.

4. Return to Stans and head back to Sarnen by Bus.

5. Take a train from Sarnen to Melchsee -Frutt.

6. Return to Sarnen.

Best,

Prathik

Arno
Arno
10348 posts
expert &
Mar 14, 2018 - 6:06 AM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Prathik,

Yes, that's certainty possible. As Chantal mentioned, it will take quite a lot of time because you're traveling in a circle around the mountains. Note that step 5 is not a train, but bus and cableway. You'll find details in the timetable.

Enjoy the ride!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018