Bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 12:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have booked my accommodation in Sarnen for two days, and i have decided to go visit Lake Lungern and also i would like to visit Melchsee -Frutt and Mt. Titlis. I was exploring the www.sbb.ch/en website to understand if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis but could not find any information on this, the other option i have is to travel by train and this would require me to travel to Lucerne and back again to Sarnen. which i am hoping to avoid.

I was unable to find if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis, could someone please help me out on this.

Also, i would like some suggestions whether Melchsee-Frutt and Mt. Titlis can be covered in a single day. If not which would be a better place to visit?....

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Prathik

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 13, 2018 - 2:36 PM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Pratheek,

There is no direct bus from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis. It's not impossible to do them both on the same day, but you will spend at least 51/2 hours on trains, buses and cable cars.

Depending on when you are traveling (June or later) and if you like hiking, I found the following alternative on the forum:

"From Melchsee-Frutt you hike to Tannalp to Engstlenalp to Engstlensee where you will board another gondola to Jochpass and on to Titlis. The hike is quite flat but about 2-3 miles long (not sure). I suggest it is be doable for a 6 year old only because I have hiked it with 80+ year old women and they did fine plus on a clear day the scenery is fantastic!"

Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 3:15 PM

Hi Chantal,

Thank you very much for the response. I would be travelling in the second week of May, do you suggest taking a hike at this period???.

Best,

Prathik

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 13, 2018 - 5:32 PM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Prathik,

May is too early. There might still be some snow or it's melting and making the path muddy. I also found out that it's not 3 miles. It's over 6 miles. So it's not an option.

Arno
Arno
12105 posts
expert &
Mar 13, 2018 - 6:16 PM

Hi Prathik,

I'd recommend to stick to hiking trails below 1500 m or so (but check when you're there!). You'll find suggestions here: www.myswissalps.com/la kelucerne/activities.

Prathik24
Prathik24
8 posts
Mar 14, 2018 - 5:01 AM

Hi guys,

Looked around a bit and looks like there is an effective way to travel Engelberg and Melchsee-Frutt. So this is what i intend to do -

1. Sarnen to Stans - by Bus.

2. Stans to Engelberg by Train.

3. Engelberg to Mt. Titlis.

4. Return to Stans and head back to Sarnen by Bus.

5. Take a train from Sarnen to Melchsee -Frutt.

6. Return to Sarnen.

Best,

Prathik

Arno
Arno
12105 posts
expert &
Mar 14, 2018 - 6:06 AM in reply to Prathik24

Hi Prathik,

Yes, that's certainty possible. As Chantal mentioned, it will take quite a lot of time because you're traveling in a circle around the mountains. Note that step 5 is not a train, but bus and cableway. You'll find details in the timetable.

Enjoy the ride!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019