Bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 12:02:27 #814745

Hi Everyone,

I have booked my accommodation in Sarnen for two days, and i have decided to go visit Lake Lungern and also i would like to visit Melchsee -Frutt and Mt. Titlis. I was exploring the http://www.sbb.ch/en website to understand if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis but could not find any information on this, the other option i have is to travel by train and this would require me to travel to Lucerne and back again to Sarnen. which i am hoping to avoid.

I was unable to find if there is a bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis, could someone please help me out on this.

Also, i would like some suggestions whether Melchsee-Frutt and Mt. Titlis can be covered in a single day. If not which would be a better place to visit?….

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Prathik

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 14:36:24 #878692

Hi Pratheek,

There is no direct bus from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis. It’s not impossible to do them both on the same day, but you will spend at least 51/2 hours on trains, buses and cable cars.

Depending on when you are traveling (June or later) and if you like hiking, I found the following alternative on the forum:

From Melchsee-Frutt you hike to Tannalp to Engstlenalp to Engstlensee where you will board another gondola to Jochpass and on to Titlis. The hike is quite flat but about 2-3 miles long (not sure). I suggest it is be doable for a 6 year old only because I have hiked it with 80+ year old women and they did fine plus on a clear day the scenery is fantastic!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 15:15:11 #878693

Hi Chantal,

Thank you very much for the response. I would be travelling in the second week of May, do you suggest taking a hike at this period???.

Best,

Prathik

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 17:32:09 #878694

Hi Prathik,

May is too early. There might still be some snow or it’s melting and making the path muddy. I also found out that it’s not 3 miles. It’s over 6 miles. So it’s not an option.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 March 2018 at 18:16:47 #878695

Hi Prathik,

I’d recommend to stick to hiking trails below 1500 m or so (but check when you’re there!). You’ll find suggestions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/la kelucerne/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 5:01:02 #878696

Hi guys,

Looked around a bit and looks like there is an effective way to travel Engelberg and Melchsee-Frutt. So this is what i intend to do –

1. Sarnen to Stans – by Bus.

2. Stans to Engelberg by Train.

3. Engelberg to Mt. Titlis.

4. Return to Stans and head back to Sarnen by Bus.

5. Take a train from Sarnen to Melchsee -Frutt.

6. Return to Sarnen.

Best,

Prathik

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:06:22 #878697

Hi Prathik,

Yes, that’s certainty possible. As Chantal mentioned, it will take quite a lot of time because you’re traveling in a circle around the mountains. Note that step 5 is not a train, but bus and cableway. You’ll find details in the timetable.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Bus service from Melchsee-Frutt to Mt. Titlis’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.