BUY 2 SWISS FLEXIPASSES AND ONE EURORAIL PASS OR??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2011 at 8:43:14 #804366

Dear Arno and others: please help me purchase the right economical passes and finalize our plans. You had suggested before that the best thing for us is Swiss flexi pass, but there is a new twist, and I now must also ride the train to Faro, Portugal (with 5 bags), at the end of my time in Switzerland.

So DO I NEED TO BUY 2 PASSES: A SWISS PASS FOR BOTH OF US, AND A EURORAIL PASS FOR ME? OR WHAT??? Below is my latest itinerary, which seems to have become quite complicated, and I would try to simplify, but I think hotel prices by now have gone way up for any change.

below, PLEASE ADD ANY MODIFICATION THAT YOU CAN, FOR US:
    – June 24- Arriving Geneva airport

– June 24- Staying in a Geneva hotel

– June 25: CAN WE USE SWISSPASS OR EURORAIL FROM GENEVA TO CHAMONIX?

-June 25, 26, 27 staying in a Chamonix hotel

-June 28: TAKE A BUS FROM CHAMONIX TO COURMAYEUR, ITALY

-June 28 & 29: staying in a hotel in Courmayeur, Italy

-June 30:TAKE A BUS FROM COURMAYEUR TO LE GRAND ST BERNARD (at border of Italy & Switzerland)

June 30 & July 1: staying at a hotel in Bourg-St-Pierre (at border of Italy & Sitzerland)

July 2: TAKE A BUS FROM BOURG-ST-PIERRE TO ORSIERES IN SWITZERLAND, & THEN USE THE SWISSPASS TO WENGEN THRU MARTINGY, MONTROUX, ZWEISIMMEN, SPIEZ, INTERLAKEN, WENGEN.

July 2 & 3: Staying at a hotel in Wengen

July 4: TAKING AN EARLY TRAIN FROM WENGEN TO ZERMATT THRU VISP

July 4: staying at a Zermatt hotel

July 5: TAKING EURORAIL FROM ZERMATT TO GENEVA (THE SOUTHERN ROUTE?)

July 5: staying at a Geneva hotel

July 6: I MUST TAKE EURORAIL TO GO THRU FRANCE & SPAIN, TO FARO PORTUGAL. BUT MY FRIEND FLIES HOME TO U.S. FROM GENEVA

So DO I NEED TO BUY 2 PASSES: A SWISS PASS for both of us, AND AN ADDITIONAL EURORAIL PASS FOR ME? OR WHAT??? I have tried talking to Eurorail, but they don’t seem interested to help guide a person. They just want to sell you something quick & dirty!…

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2011 at 12:42:07 #833066

Hi eykhoda,

What are your ages and do you both live in the US? The thing is that several Eurail Passes come in 1st class only, except the youth variants. Traveling in 2nd class would of course be cheaper. Please let me know and I’ll look into it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2011 at 12:58:40 #833067

Thanks Arno: We are over 50, but not yet 65. Does senior rate start at 65?

My friend lives in the U.S, and I have a U.S. address too, but am going to stay with my cousin in Faro for a few months.

We would prefer the most economical route.

And I am grateful for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2011 at 13:04:56 #833068

Hi eykhoda,

What are your ages and do you both live in the US? The thing is that several Eurail Passes come in 1st class only, except the youth variants. Traveling in 2nd class would of course be cheaper. Please let me know and I’ll look into it.

P.S. MODARNO: IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE “BUSSES” THAT I SHOW IN OUR ITINERARY, OR HOW TO FIND OUT ABOUT THEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I CALLED THE HOTEL IN COURMAYEUR A FEW TIMES. THE MAN IS VERY NICE, BUT NOT ABLE TO COMMUNICATE SUFFICIENTLY IN ENGLISH. HE SENT ME SOME BUS SCHEDULE IN ITALIAN, AND I COULDN’T FIND IT IN ENGLISH.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2011 at 13:52:52 #833069

Hi eykhoda,

Well, without the trip to Faro, it would be most economical to get a 2nd class 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. You would use that on:
    – June 25
    – July 2
    – July 4
    – July 5
    These trips are all fully covered as you can see on the map we link to from the Swiss Flexi Pass page. Traveling from Chamonix via Courmayeur back to Switzerland (Grand St. Bernard pass) is not included, but that’s all in a small area. I would just buy regular tickets there instead of looking for passes that cover France and Italy as well.

This option would cost $291 per person. There are no senior rates for these passes. In cases where senior rates apply, it usually starts at age 60 or 65.

I don’t know the fares for Geneva – Faro. I found the price of an economy train ticket for Geneva – Madrid (still a long way from Faro) which was $418. However, point to point ticket prices vary with traveling date/time and purchase date. If you find a cheap ticket, it would make sense to go for that option instead of purchasing a pass that covers France, Spain and Portugal as well. Also you need to note that this trip takes well over 24 hours, so a pass should include not one but two extra days. Booking a flight would most probably be the cheaper option. I hate to recommend that though, as train traveling is more exiting and eco-friendly. Anyway, if you would buy a rail pass for this trip, you should buy one that includes Switzerland as well, as the Eurail Select Pass starts from 5 travel days. A 4-country 6-day Eurail Select Pass would cost you $610. The problem is: it’s 1st class only, so you would either use it in 2nd class while traveling together, or your friend would have to upgrade to 1st class as well. It doesn’t make much sense, but it’s an option of course.

I would pick the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and either book a flight to Faro or search for a cheap ticket.

I’m not familiar with the buses in Italy, but I believe this website is where you should look.

This is what I can make of it. I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2011 at 6:59:47 #833070

Dear Arno: with your guidance, we are gradually working thru our complex itinerary. I’ve been researching, trying to make my way thru the plethora of information in my way!…Thank goodness for you! Here’s a couple more questions:

1. You asked earlier if we are U.S. residents. My friend is, and I told you I also have a U.S. address, but I have not been living in the U.S, been in the gulf, and now going to be living in Portugal. Do you know if there is a lower rate or a discount that might apply to us?

2. The, “2nd class 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass” says it’s good for 4 trips within a month. Does this mean within 30 days? (If not, then we have a problem, because our 4 days strech across June and July).

3. On June 25 we travel from Geneva to Chamonix, as one of our 4 days on the Flexi Pass. Will this rail trip go across the North side of Lac Leman? If yes, then could we reduce our time and fare by taking the bus directly from Geneva to Chamonix, and get a 3-day Swisspass?

Thank you.

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 June 2011 at 4:29:14 #833071

Hi eykhoda,

1. The indirect answer is this: your residancy determines which passes you can use. People from any country except Switzerland and Liechtenstein may use any of the a Swiss Travel System passes. Non European residents may use any Eurail Pass. Other than this, your current location determines where you can order as not all resellers ship to all countries.

2. It’s valid for up to one month from the first travel day, e.g. June 25 to July 24.

3. Yes, the train is using the Northern route along Lac Leman (great scenery along most of the way!). I don’t know what the bus route or fare is like. You could indeed purchase a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass in that case. It saves you $51, but you have to add the bus fare so I’m not sure if that’s going to make a significant difference.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2011 at 5:08:57 #833072

Dear Arno: we finally finalized our vacation, and purchased our 4-day Swiss flexi pass today. I’m just writing to tell you again, that your guidance and wonderful help has made such a positive difference in our vacation, that beside the beauty of the land, your service makes it impossible to think of going anywhere else for our future vacations.:-)

Arno
    15482 posts
    6 June 2011 at 15:41:36 #833073

Hello eykhoda,

You’re very much welcome! Good to hear that you were able to finalize this part of your planning. Have a great trip and feel free to post your experiences here once you’ve returned!

• The thread ‘BUY 2 SWISS FLEXIPASSES AND ONE EURORAIL PASS OR??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.