Buy pass before I arrive?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2010 at 14:02:27 #803959

Should I buy my rail pass on-line before coming or buy it at the rail station after I arrive?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 August 2010 at 16:27:56 #831695

Hi swisshiker65! Many Swiss rail passes can be purchased at larger rail stations during opening hours. Exceptions are the Swiss Card and the Swiss Transfer Ticket. An online purchase has a couple of advantages. As you already have your pass, you don’t have to spend time at a rail station after arrival. Depending on your country of residence and the exchange rate, it can be either cheaper or more expensive than a local purchase. Local prices can be found here. For current online prices, please click your country of residence on the rail pass page of your choice. In many cases, an online purchase allows you to pay in your own currency.

Regarding seat reservations for panoramic trains, an online purchase is recommended, as booking early increases your chances of getting the rights seats. In many cases, seats can be booked online along with purchasing the pass.

Does this answer your question? Enjoy your traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2010 at 16:50:16 #831696

When you buy on-line do you know if they have to ship the actual pass to you or can you print it out at your own computer?

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 August 2010 at 16:53:15 #831697

All passes are paper documents that will be send by regular or express mail.

• The thread ‘Buy pass before I arrive?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.