About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Buying a rail ticket to Italy with cash in Lucerne
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Buying a rail ticket to Italy with cash in Lucerne

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sweyne
Sweyne
44 posts
Jun 1, 2022 - 12:28 PM

Hello you wonderful people! As debit card fees are so high (and the Wise.com card not being available here yet in Thailand) I am thinking about buying a ticket at Luzern station for a trip to Milano Centrale in cash (CHF) the day before travelling. Can I also purchase at Luzern station a ticket from Milano to Varenna Esino again in cash for a future date? Thank you ...

1960man
1960man
3787 posts
expert
Jun 1, 2022 - 3:45 PM in reply to Sweyne
1960man
1960man
3787 posts
expert
Jun 1, 2022 - 3:47 PM in reply to Sweyne

I am pretty sure you can still pay cash over the counter at a SBB travel centre. In the past, getting a paper ticket for another country was possible but I'm not sure that in the 'digital age' that can still be done.

Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jun 1, 2022 - 4:57 PM in reply to Sweyne

Hi Sweyne,

yes, you can buy a ticket to Milan from Lucerne for sure paying in cash. Although I am not sure that you can buy one from Milan to Varenna as the whole route is in Italy.

Have you tried here? www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy/price Are these also expensive for you if you are paying by card?

The problem with the ticket purchasing in Lucerne, that as it is not well in advance the price can be higher.

Check this forum thread too, maybe you find some useful information www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/avoid-banking-fees-when-paying-in-swiss-francs.

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022