Buying a ticket Zurich-Wengen via Lucerne

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 July 2019 at 23:54:40 #822811

Ok… I’ve got my ticket for the 8:00 train to Wengen via Lucerne. From what I understand, I really can take any train at any time with no penalty.

I get on the 8:00 am train and get to Lucerne. Instead of getting on the next train at 9:30 like it says on my ticket (hypothetical departure time) I want to leave at noon. How do I know which train to hop on to continue my journey?

My original ticket tells me what time my connecting trains leaves and from what platform for each of my stops. But now that I have changed my schedule how do I know what train to catch for each of my next stops on the way to Wengen?

Thanks so much for helping the this train rookie.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 0:18:43 #917651

<<“how do I know what train to catch for each of my next stops on the way to Wengen?”>>

Use this:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    13 July 2019 at 1:18:06 #917652

So I’ll just use the timetable and grab whatever train suits my fancy? So no real schedule then. Just whatever I decide.

Thanks

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    13 July 2019 at 1:24:29 #917653

….and since this is part of the Golden Pass route do you think there will be issues with seat availability?

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 July 2019 at 6:14:41 #917654

Hi pkerr!

If you bought a regular ticket: yes, you should be able to board any train along this route during the entire day. Make sure it’s not a Supersaver ticket though, as those are valid for one specific train only. The differences are explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. Assuming it’s a regular ticket, you can board any train direct train from Lucerne to Interlaken, also known as the “Luzern-Interlaken Express”.

Seat reservations aren’t necessary for this leg: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 10:45:58 #917655

HiPKerr-

As Annika notes, The Luzern-Interlaken segment does not need reservations. I have ridden it many times and have had no trouble getting a seat. It runs once per hour

While scenic, it is not as dramatic a trip as the descent through the vineyards to Montreux, where there may be more demand. Further, although those trains also run approximately hourly, only some of them are Golden Pass Panoramic trains.

I don’t know the consist for them, so I don’t know how many cars are in the various trains, but the reduced frequency may contribute to the need for reservations on the ones that are Golden Pass trains.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 12:52:40 #917656

<<“So I’ll just use the timetable and grab whatever train suits my fancy? So no real schedule then. Just whatever I decide.”>>

Pretty much like bus in a city…on any line, catch which ever one is passing at the time you need it.

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    13 July 2019 at 18:45:46 #917657

“Further, although those trains also run approximately hourly, only some of them are Golden Pass Panoramic trains.”

Anyway to know which are the Golden Pass Panoramic Trains?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 18:54:04 #917658

<<“Anyway to know which are the Golden Pass Panoramic Trains?

Thanks”>>

What would you guess?

Use the timetable. Create the journeys, expand them. It will say if they are Golden Pass.

Don’t know your dates…which is why the Forum Rules request travel dates, so her is a random guess.

Slowpoke

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    13 July 2019 at 21:46:56 #917659

Ah… thanks.

I didn’t realize they would let you know which were the GP trains. But I gusse it makes sense.

Thanks again.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 July 2019 at 22:05:37 #917660

The time table is your friend.

Whether the main site or the smartphone App, which is quite handy when you are in the midst of your trip, there is an impressive amount of useful detail..https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile.html

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 July 2019 at 9:32:14 #917661

Hi pkerr,

If this is only about the trip Lucerne-Wengen, and not about other legs of the Golden Pass, then it’s good to know that any direct train between Lucerne and Interlaken (called “Luzern-Interlaken Express”) runs along the Golden Pass route: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere. The phrasing “Luzern-Interlaken Express” will show up in the timetable as well.

• The thread ‘Buying a ticket Zurich-Wengen via Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.