Buying bus tickets in Bernese Oberland

• Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    8 February 2017 at 6:39:44 #810757

Having read your web page on bus travel,

< if you don’t have a pass for unlimited traveling, you will need to buy a ticket. In most cases you are supposed to buy a ticket before you board the bus. You can do so from the ticketing machine, a ticket office at a train or bus station, or online through the timetable. Some buses have an on board ticketing machine. In all such cases the driver does not sell or even check tickets. Tickets will be check randomly by other staff. Buses operating like this are labelled with a yellow icon in the shape of an eye.

In rural areas without machines and ticket offices, you can buy a ticket from the driver.>

…..Am just checking specifics for bus tickets in Bernese Oberland, eg Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg is not covered with the BO pass… are there ticket machines at the main stops or can tickets be purchased on bus? I’m assuming the BO is classed as ‘rural’ 🙂

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 10:52:17 #858764

Hi Adelaidean,

If the route you are on is not covered by the Bernese Oberland Pass (click that link to check what is covered).

The Bernese Oberland is quite a large area with many larger towns and cities so not all is rural! There will be a ticket office in Grindelwald for you to check on buying any tickets/passes you may need.

Lucas

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    8 February 2017 at 20:05:50 #858765

Thanks again, Lucas.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 February 2017 at 21:28:41 #858766

You can indeed buy tickets from the driver in the less-populated towns/villages in the BO. That includes Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg, Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg, Brienz main station out to Ballenberg Museum, and so on.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 21:31:45 #858767

>> Am just checking specifics for bus tickets in Bernese Oberland, eg Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg is not covered with the BO pass… are there ticket machines at the main stops or can tickets be purchased on bus?

Hi Adelaidean,

I can confirm that you can buy a ticket from the driver on the bus for the trip between Grindelwald and Grosse Scheidegg, which is operated by Grindelwald Bus.

http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en

There is also a little hut at the Grosse Scheidegg bus stop where you can buy a ticket, although when I was there in September last year, the ticket window was open, but the hut was not staffed.

I highly recommend that trip! The mountain scenery is stunning and the skill of the bus drivers is amazing on that narrow, winding road (with no guardrails) where hairpin bends, oncoming buses and cars, and herds of cows ambling along the road all have to be contended with! You will love the distinctive sound of the PostBus horn, which the driver has to use constantly to warn oncoming traffic of the approach of the bus, which has right-of-way and needs to use all of the road to get around those hairpin bends.

If you have time, the trip down the other side from Grosse Scheidegg to Meiringen is also lovely. And if you do make it to Meiringen, a meringue dessert at the Frutal Tea Room is not to be missed! It’s not far from the bus stop and railway station.

Alpenrose

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    9 February 2017 at 2:35:57 #858768

Thanks for your replies, I was probably overthinking things…bound to be hikers that need to jump on a bus if a storm approaching or getting tired, they would not have tickets pre purchased. Alpenrose, I thought of the walk to First as well, that looks good. Or Bussalp from First … hmmm so much lovely choice. I will definitely have more questions once my plans become clearer! Thanks again, what a nice forum!

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    9 February 2017 at 2:39:41 #858769

Btw…are you the Kim also on Tripadvisor? I have your Wengen report if it is 😀 Fantastic.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 February 2017 at 3:46:00 #858770

Yes I am. KimSanJose over there. Thank you for your kind words! There is also a link to it here at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2017 at 9:06:27 #858771

Hi Kim,

I’m not sure if you have a more recent version of that document, but if so, feel free to e-mail it and I will attach it to that thread.

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    9 February 2017 at 9:20:24 #858772

Kim,

<I have your Wengen report if it is 😀 Fantastic.>

..and that meant to be a smiley face, NOT a question mark LOL.

(I am ozzie2010 over there in TA land)

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 February 2017 at 16:35:10 #858773

HI Arno,

I have been remiss in updating — but at least the mountains and transport systems are still the same! Ha!

I hope to do another version sometimes soon and I do have a note to self to forward it to you when I get it done.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 February 2017 at 18:12:33 #858774

Thanks Kim!

• The thread ‘Buying bus tickets in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.