Buying train passes & validity at Zurich airport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 15:32:10 #824357

Can I buy the Zurich Card or the Day Pass at the airport? Does either the Zurich Card or the Eurail Pass cover the train from the airport to the main station in Zurich?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 17:48:33 #924545

Hello Judyzoo,

Thanks for your questions!

Yes, can purchase the Zurich Card, and the 1- day travel pass tickets at the SBB Travel Center at Zurich Airport. The Travel Center of the Swiss Federal Railways is located on Level -1 opposite Check-in 3. You can also get your passes online in advance though. Usually this is easier, as it saves time after arrival. Moreover, most rail passes are issued as printable e-tickets, which means you’ll have an electronic back-up in case of loss or damage. This is not the cases with passes and tickets bought on the spot.

Please note that you need to purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card in order to use the 1-day travel pass. I will attach the details for you:

1 – day travel pass purchase options:

Swiss Half Fare Card purchase options:

Here is a link about getting around in Zurich, and you will find more details on the Zurich Card:

The Eurail Global Pass will cover the train rides to Zurich airport and to the main train station:

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    3 November 2019 at 18:07:36 #924546

Hi Judyzoo,

Before you commit to buying a day pass or Zurich Card be sure to figure out which rail pass is best for your trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you have plans to travel by train during your stay in Switzerland for a few days or weeks (however long you are there) a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass is often the best option: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass – you’ll see links there on buying online as well as a validity map to see what routes are covered by it.

Or have you already bought the Eurail Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 19:18:41 #924547

I already have the Eurail Pass. But now that I have thought more about it, I don’t want to use it to get to town from the airport, because I have a 5-day flex pass which will be better used on other days. So, it may be better to just buy a single ticket for the train from the airport; that doesn’t require a Half Fare Card, does it? Or can I buy and use the Zurich card for the train from the airport?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 20:25:15 #924548

Hello Judyzoo,

You may purchase a ticket from Zurich airport to the main train station in Zurich with a single one way ticket. You don’t need a Swiss Half Fare Card to purchase that ticket. It is only one train station stop and when you pay the full fare, it is only 6.80 Swiss Francs.

You may also purchase the Zurich Card and use it from the train to the airport. As an alternative to the SBB Travel Center, you may also purchase the Zurich Card and print out the e-ticket in the comforts of your home. I will attach the purchase link for the Zurich Card for you:

Here is another purchase link for other rail passes in case you decide on something else:

I hope that clears things up!

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Buying train passes & validity at Zurich airport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.