Buying Swiss Motorway pass online

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 3:54:12 #814652

Hello,

We are travelling by car through Switzerland in September for 2 weeks, and we are purchasing a Swiss Half Fare card.

We are in Australia and would like to purchase the Swiss Motorway Vignette 2018.

Can anyone recommend the site to purchase this from??

Thanks

MezzaNewbs

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 6:45:06 #877948

Hi MezzaNewbs and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can read more details about the Swiss motorway vignette on our site here as well as a link for purchase online: https://www.myswissalp s.com/motorwayvignette

Are you renting a car in Switzerland? It would have the vignette already if so.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 6:55:19 #877949

HelloMezzaNewbs,

You will have read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain won’t you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 15:34:09 #877950

Hi

I live in the UK, I am travelling to Geneva, I brought my Vignette on Line from :

http://www.switzerlandtravelc entre.co.uk, I am not sure if you have a similar site wher you live but I would think so.

Ipaid £35.00 and got it in the post within 5 days

I hope this helps

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 March 2018 at 15:47:20 #877951

Thanks for sharing that Blastrim. That’s indeed the same company that operates the web shop for vignettes and train passes at http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk/en/products/moto rwaysticker (where we link to). They offer the Swiss Half Fare Card as well, which is very useful for day trips.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 March 2018 at 16:38:09 #877952

Hej !

The simplest thing to do is to purchase your vignette on arrival at this Swiss border. It takes about two minutes. Here is what the Swiss Customs Administration says about the vignette: http://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/e n/home/information-individuals/documents-for-travellers-and-road-taxes/motorway-charge-sticker–vignette-.html There is also a link to a pdf map (slighly outdated) showing the motorways for which the vignette is required, as well as other pages dealing with vignette FAQs, and points of sale.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 1:45:18 #877953

Thanks Lucas, we are hiring and returning to Milan.

Thanks for the online tip

MezzaNewbs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 1:47:06 #877954

Thanks Rocoyster, yes have read this link. Have been through Myswissalps numerous times… very helpful

MezzaNewbs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 1:53:33 #877955

Peterli,

Thanks for the response… we are coming over the Stelvio Pass, and by look of map, won’t need the Vignette till we hit Chur. So your suggestion may in fact be very pertinent. However, will get the Swiss half fare card (just in case we use it before then).

Cheers

MezzaNewbs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 1:59:12 #877956

Thanks Blastrim, I did see that site, but the postage makes it very expensive.

Peterli’s suggestion of purchase in Switzerland seems the best option, as not on motorways

for the first short while. I just need to chase up now, where they are available as we travel around.

Cheers

MezzaNewbs

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 March 2018 at 5:42:30 #877957

Hej,

<<… we are coming over the Stelvio Pass, and by look of map, won’t need the Vignette till we hit Chur.>> Wow ! That is one pass I have never driven over, but it is on my list. I hope that the car you are renting in Milano is an Alfa Romeo Stelvio. That would be fun ! Maybe you have already watched this video; youtu.be/KncNXyU8GJE If the descent on the Swiss side (Umbrailpass) is like the Swiss side of the Saint Bernard Pass, you will notice that there are far fewer guard rails than on the Italian side.

If there is no customs control the day you drive over into Switzerland, keep in mind that you can purchase the vignette (unless your Alfa already has one) in post offices, petrol stations and garages. You could also ask any police that you see.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 1:38:07 #877958

Hi,

Thanks for the info, and the youtube link….have watch quite a few, but not this one!

We’ve a Audi A3 cabrio to drive around…our treat as live in Western Queensland and use 4WD all the time. So this will be a bit of fun!!

And will get the vignette as we get into Switzerland.

Ciao

MezzaNewbs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 1:39:24 #877959

Thanks everyone for the information & replies.

This is a fantastic site, and no doubt I will think of more questions as our planning gets further along.

MezzaNewbs

• The thread ‘Buying Swiss Motorway pass online’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.