Buying Swiss Travel Pass - At airport vs online

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
kashyapp
kashyapp
2 posts
Feb 15, 2018 - 7:30 PM

Hello,

I am interested in buying a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass for my 1 week stay in Switzerland in May 2018. I am not sure yet about which 4 consecutive days I will be traveling the most during my week's stay. I was hoping to decide the start date of the Swiss Travel Pass after arriving in Switzerland after checking the weather for some of the destinations I am interested in (Mt. Rigi, Mt. Schilthorn, Mt. Titlis & Rhine Falls).

If I buy the Swiss Travel Pass at the Zurich airport on arrival, do I have to mention the start date of the pass? Or will it get activated on the first use that week?

Is mentioning the Start Date mandatory if I buy the pass online?

I will be living in Horgen. Will it be best to buy the 4 day Swiss Travel pass at Horgen Station on the day I want to start my local trips? If so, at what time will the Ticket Office at Horgen Station open from where i can buy the pass?

Is international credit card accepted at both Zurich airport and the train stations to buy the Swiss Travel Pass and any point-to-point tickets?

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.

rockoyster
rockoyster
4978 posts
expert
Feb 15, 2018 - 10:29 PM in reply to kashyapp

Hello kashyapp and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You have to nominate a start date for the pass wherever you buy it. You could always buy a Flex Pass to give you a choice but will pay a premium for the benefit. Flex pass is not available for on-line delivery.

Details for Horgen Station are here www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.3204. horgen.html. You should have no problems buying a Pass there but on-line is much more convenient.

Credit cards are fine at SBB manned stations.

Have a great visit.

Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Feb 16, 2018 - 8:14 AM in reply to kashyapp

Yes, you'll have to pick your start date at time of purchase.

I agree that buying online should save you a lot of time and energy - especially the Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive days) as it can be printed at home - the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is mailed to you after online purchase.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019