Buying Swiss Travel Pass - At airport vs online

Buying Swiss Travel Pass - At airport vs online

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
kashyapp
kashyapp
2 posts
Feb 15, 2018 - 7:30 PM

Hello,

I am interested in buying a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass for my 1 week stay in Switzerland in May 2018. I am not sure yet about which 4 consecutive days I will be traveling the most during my week's stay. I was hoping to decide the start date of the Swiss Travel Pass after arriving in Switzerland after checking the weather for some of the destinations I am interested in (Mt. Rigi, Mt. Schilthorn, Mt. Titlis & Rhine Falls).

If I buy the Swiss Travel Pass at the Zurich airport on arrival, do I have to mention the start date of the pass? Or will it get activated on the first use that week?

Is mentioning the Start Date mandatory if I buy the pass online?

I will be living in Horgen. Will it be best to buy the 4 day Swiss Travel pass at Horgen Station on the day I want to start my local trips? If so, at what time will the Ticket Office at Horgen Station open from where i can buy the pass?

Is international credit card accepted at both Zurich airport and the train stations to buy the Swiss Travel Pass and any point-to-point tickets?

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Feb 15, 2018 - 10:29 PM in reply to kashyapp

Hello kashyapp and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You have to nominate a start date for the pass wherever you buy it. You could always buy a Flex Pass to give you a choice but will pay a premium for the benefit. Flex pass is not available for on-line delivery.

Details for Horgen Station are here www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.3204. horgen.html. You should have no problems buying a Pass there but on-line is much more convenient.

Credit cards are fine at SBB manned stations.

Have a great visit.

Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Feb 16, 2018 - 8:14 AM in reply to kashyapp

Yes, you'll have to pick your start date at time of purchase.

I agree that buying online should save you a lot of time and energy - especially the Swiss Travel Pass (consecutive days) as it can be printed at home - the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is mailed to you after online purchase.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018