Buying the Swiss Half Fare Card from the SBB App

• chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    7 May 2018 at 3:11:24 #815792

Hi,

5 days to go for the big trip, and I’m trying to buy SHFCs for the family. Our credit cards do not work on the SBB website, the only way I can have been able to purchase tickets so far (bought Saver Day Passes for the first and last days) is from the phone SBB App. It is tricky now because I cannot find Gotthard Seat Reservations on the app, and I cannot find how to buy the SHFC from the app. I’ve contacted the website support folks about the Gotthard reservations, but I figured I’ll ask here and find out how people buy tickets and passes using the app. Thanks!

Chandni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2018 at 3:47:43 #884495

Hello Chandni,

You can’t buy the Swiss Half Fare Card with the SBB App. The Swiss Half Fare Card is a tourist oriented product. You can buy it when you arrive in Switzerland or on-line from a retailer listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

You can make reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express at goo.gl/vfV4wK. Enter Lugano to Flüelen via Göschenen (or the other way round depending on which direction you are travelling). Train departs Flüelen at 14:10 and Lugano at 9:23. Enter one of those departure times to get the correct train which will be identified as EXT in the timetable.

You can buy half-fare tickets using the SBB App using the same details above.

You can’t make reservations for the boat.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    8 May 2018 at 3:04:13 #884496

Oh okay, took me a while to realize the tourist and domestic websites, etc are different. I purchased them from HappyRail successfully (had to call credit card company to allow the transaction)

I think I’ll do the same for the reservations on the SBB website. The SBB folks got back to me confirming that they do not have the seat reservation functionality on the app yet.

Thanks for your help! Time to start packing bags!!!

• The thread ‘Buying the Swiss Half Fare Card from the SBB App’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.