Buying Switzerland half fare ticket in advance

Buying Switzerland half fare ticket in advance

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 19, 2018 - 7:09 AM

Hello,

I want to buy Lusanne to Montreux ticket in advance. I know my date of travelling but not sure of exact time. If I buy a ticket in advance from SBB site, do I need to board the exact same time train or I can board any other train also at some other time. Same is the query for train from Montreux to Randa and then from Randa to Luzern. I will be using swiss half fare card and swiss family card for booking these tickets.

Thanks

Sachin

rockoyster
rockoyster
3567 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 7:29 AM in reply to jindals12

Hello Sachin,

You can buy tickets in advance on-line or at any SBB train station.

A ticket applies to a route. You can take any train during the day the ticket is valid on that route. You can even get off the train anywhere along the way and get on a later train to complete your journey.

The only variation to that is if you buy a Supersaver Ticket which only applies to a specific departure and arrival time.

jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 19, 2018 - 8:36 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks. One more query: I can just take a printout of the ticket and that should work.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3567 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 9:17 AM in reply to jindals12

Sure, or display the ticket using the SBB Mobile App if you have that.

jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 23, 2018 - 5:07 AM in reply to rockoyster

I tried to book connection from Lausanne to Montreux through sbb mobile app. It says Mobilis Individual ticket 7 zones via direct valid 2 hours. Does it mean ticket is valid for 2 hours only from the time I mention while booking? Also, is half fare card valid on this section - kids (6-16 years) travel free - No need to buy ticket for them?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3567 posts
expert
May 23, 2018 - 6:18 AM in reply to jindals12

Correct - that ticket is valid for 2 hours from the start time you nominate when purchasing. There is also a day pass option. Kid >5 <16 travel free as per normal with Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Family Card.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018