Buying Switzerland half fare ticket in advance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 7:09:09 #816089

Hello,

I want to buy Lusanne to Montreux ticket in advance. I know my date of travelling but not sure of exact time. If I buy a ticket in advance from SBB site, do I need to board the exact same time train or I can board any other train also at some other time. Same is the query for train from Montreux to Randa and then from Randa to Luzern. I will be using swiss half fare card and swiss family card for booking these tickets.

Thanks

Sachin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 May 2018 at 7:29:37 #885774

Hello Sachin,

You can buy tickets in advance on-line or at any SBB train station.

A ticket applies to a route. You can take any train during the day the ticket is valid on that route. You can even get off the train anywhere along the way and get on a later train to complete your journey.

The only variation to that is if you buy a Supersaver Ticket which only applies to a specific departure and arrival time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 8:36:51 #885775

Thanks. One more query: I can just take a printout of the ticket and that should work.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 May 2018 at 9:17:03 #885776

Sure, or display the ticket using the SBB Mobile App if you have that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 5:07:05 #885777

I tried to book connection from Lausanne to Montreux through sbb mobile app. It says Mobilis Individual ticket 7 zones via direct valid 2 hours. Does it mean ticket is valid for 2 hours only from the time I mention while booking? Also, is half fare card valid on this section – kids (6-16 years) travel free – No need to buy ticket for them?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 6:18:14 #885778

Correct – that ticket is valid for 2 hours from the start time you nominate when purchasing. There is also a day pass option. Kid >5 <16 travel free as per normal with Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Family Card.

• The thread ‘Buying Switzerland half fare ticket in advance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.