Buying Switzerland half fare ticket in advance

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 19, 2018 - 7:09 AM

Hello,

I want to buy Lusanne to Montreux ticket in advance. I know my date of travelling but not sure of exact time. If I buy a ticket in advance from SBB site, do I need to board the exact same time train or I can board any other train also at some other time. Same is the query for train from Montreux to Randa and then from Randa to Luzern. I will be using swiss half fare card and swiss family card for booking these tickets.

Thanks

Sachin

rockoyster
rockoyster
5918 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 7:29 AM in reply to jindals12

Hello Sachin,

You can buy tickets in advance on-line or at any SBB train station.

A ticket applies to a route. You can take any train during the day the ticket is valid on that route. You can even get off the train anywhere along the way and get on a later train to complete your journey.

The only variation to that is if you buy a Supersaver Ticket which only applies to a specific departure and arrival time.

jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 19, 2018 - 8:36 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks. One more query: I can just take a printout of the ticket and that should work.

rockoyster
rockoyster
5918 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 9:17 AM in reply to jindals12

Sure, or display the ticket using the SBB Mobile App if you have that.

jindals12
jindals12
10 posts
May 23, 2018 - 5:07 AM in reply to rockoyster

I tried to book connection from Lausanne to Montreux through sbb mobile app. It says Mobilis Individual ticket 7 zones via direct valid 2 hours. Does it mean ticket is valid for 2 hours only from the time I mention while booking? Also, is half fare card valid on this section - kids (6-16 years) travel free - No need to buy ticket for them?

rockoyster
rockoyster
5918 posts
expert
May 23, 2018 - 6:18 AM in reply to jindals12

Correct - that ticket is valid for 2 hours from the start time you nominate when purchasing. There is also a day pass option. Kid >5 <16 travel free as per normal with Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Family Card.

Last modified on May 23, 2018 - 6:42 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019