Buying train tickets at Domodossola station

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 21:33:28 #822660

Hi. We arrive at Domodossola station at 12.30pm on 10 July from Milan.

I’m trying to purchase a train ticket from Domodossola to Yverdon les Bains on the obb website but it keeps automatically calculating the fare at half price. Is it possible to calculate it at normal price before buying it online? I don’t want to get into trouble for buying a half price fare! I prefer to use the main website as I find the app confusing as the app lists everything in sections.

Alternatively, as we have a 50 minute layover before we change trains, we can buy the ticket to Yverdon les Bains at the Domodossola station. Will it cost the same if we do it that way or is it best to do it online?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 21:44:07 #916936

When you go to buy a ticket on the web site you should see an option to claim reductions. It will be set to half-fare card by default. Just click that setting to indicate no reductions.

Or just buy the ticket at Domodossola while you wait for your connection? Any reason why you are not on a straight through train. There is no need to stop there at all if you buy your Swiss ticket before you start the journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 21:53:54 #916937

Thanks for the reply. We are actually coming from Bologna and thought we had to buy a ticket from Bologna to Domodossola (via Milan) on the Italian website then use the Swiss system to buy the ticket from Domodossola to Yverdon les Bains. From what I understand there is no direct train without getting off at Domodossola and changing trains?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 22:30:50 #916938

If you look at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy and use the SBB timetable to plan the entire journey you will see there are EuroCity trains running from Milan to various cities in Switzerland. They are the fastest trains. Just because you need two tickets doesn’t mean you have to get off a train at Domodossola. You show the Italian ticket before the border and the Swiss ticket after the border.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 23:34:14 #916939

There are direct Eurocity trains (EC) from Milano to Genève and Basel.

You need a Genève one and you will need to travel to Lausanne from where there are frequent SBB trains to Yverdon

EC trains Milano – Lausanne – Genève:

depart Milano Centrale 08.23 (EC32)

depart Milano Centrale 12.23 (EC34)

depart Milano Centrale 17.23 (EC36)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 13:58:42 #916940

Thanks. After reading your email, I actually realised that we are getting off the EC52 at 12.43 in Domodossola to change trains an hour later, when we can stay on it. It is the same train that continues on. The connections look a bit tight to Yverdon les Bains, but I understand that if we miss a connection later on and get the next train the tickets are still valid?

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 July 2019 at 17:20:03 #916941

Hi Sorrento. That’s correct, regular Swiss point-to-point tickets are valid for an entire day: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 23:32:07 #916942

There are dozens of trains between Lausanne and Yverdon, you won’t have to wait long under any circumstances. In any case, trains from Italy often run late so passengers from Italy often have to get ‘the next available train’ from Lausanne anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2019 at 7:26:42 #916943

Thanks. I noticed that a super saver ticket is available for that the route and date we plan to travel. Is the super saver option available for purchase for non Swiss residents? Will it complicate things if we miss a connection and have a super saver ticket?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2019 at 7:49:10 #916944

You can certainly buy a Supersaver ticket – SBB aren’t fussy about taking tourists money 😉.

If you are referring to the EC52 then you can’t miss the connection at Domodossola as you will be on the same train from Milan to Lausanne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2019 at 8:09:14 #916945

That is great, thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 20:41:05 #916946

Similar issue…. but Domo to Wengen

I have a half price and family pass for family of 4 and tickets from rome to domo arriving on EC 34 (Arriving at 1343) on July 31st.

I have tried 4 websites trying to buy the Domo to Wengen portion with the half fare and family passes but can’t seem to figure it out. I seem to be able to select half fare but not register the children or select seats ( don’t want to get moved) The only reason I’m even trying to buy this portion in advance is that I believe the train continues on. I could leave the train and catch the next train and only lose 30 mins but would prefer just to relax and have both sets of tickets in hand.

Please let me know which site and options to chose to select the correct tickets. Sorry if I’m missing something.

Thank you in advance

Patrick

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2019 at 21:11:56 #916947

Hi Patrick,

You just need to buy two adult half-fare tickets, Your children don’t need tickets in Switzerland if they are covered by Swiss Family Card.

I only ever use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to buy tickets.

You can make reservations at bit.ly/2NEbuvo. But even if you do you can’t pick specific seats and can’t guarantee you won’t have to move seats. It’s a weird system I know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 16:01:12 #916948

Thank you Rockoyster

I have booked the tickets in order to stay on the train at Domo, I could have taken the next train an hour later with one less stops on a super saver ticket but I figure this was the easiest.

The SBB site wouldn’t accept my Mastercard and all other sites were more costly so I have to find an old card that I no longer use that went through just fine. Strange.

All the best

• The thread ‘Buying train tickets at Domodossola station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.