Buying train ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Alishachin
    Participant
    1 post
    29 June 2022 at 12:01:37 #827637

Hi, first of all thank you for all the useful info on this website and the extremely useful spreadsheet for fare calculations. After calculating all the train fares, I realised that the Swiss Half Fare card is a cheaper option for our 7 day trip; after adding in the costs for excursions to Jungfraujoch and First.

I have some additional questions. If I purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card,

1.Can I use the SBB mobile app to purchase the train tickets at half fare, and should I purchase it in advance, or is the price of a normal fare ticket be the same on a day before the trip? Asking this as I think it will be more convenient to purchase on the app then at the station itself.

2. If there are certain days of travel that I will make a few train trips and if there is a day saver passes that is available at lets say CHF29 on certain trip on the SBB app (which I have notice are usually priced at 39(half fare), does that mean that I do not need to purchase additional train tickets for other trips on the train for the same day?

3. We will be travelling to Paris from Grindelwald on our final day of the trip, am I right to assume that the half fare card will be able to cover the trip until Basel; and then from Basel to Gare de Lyon it will be full- fare using TGV Lyria?

4. Finally, if I enter France from Switzerland, will there be any border check? My husband and I are from Malaysia. We will be departing back to Malaysia from Paris.

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 15:49:16 #943764

You can use any of the ticket purchase methods (app, SBB online timetable, SBB website, automatic ticket machine at stations) to buy a ticket using your Swiss Half Fare Card. Just make sure you select the 1/2 fare option when required.

The Saver Day Pass with the Swiss Half fare card is usually the cheapest way to use trains for a whole day anywhere across Switzerland.

( two weeks ago I had three consecutive Saver Day Pass days and thoroughly enjoyed (as usual) the freedom to go anywhere I chose at a moment’s notice – and to change my mind several times due to weather, ‘just fancied a change’ etc)

Swiss Half Fare Card will get you half price on all main line railway in Switzerland, up to Basel SBB

There are no checks between Switzerland and France (Schengen area)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2022 at 15:59:54 #943765

Hi Alishachin and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

1. A short addition to 1960man’s answer: Here you can read about how to use your Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse. (I, personally always buy my tickets via the SBB app. Make sure to buy them before the train starts. If you buy later, you might get fined.)

2. If you have a valid Saver Day Pass, you can travel for free – where the Saver Day Pass is valid. See the map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/validity. Check the prices of the Saver Day Pass here (sometimes they are a little bit cheaper here): http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

3. Yes, all correct. You can buy your TGV ticket here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france/price.

4. Usually there aren’t any checks.

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Buying train ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.