By car from Milan to Geneva and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 11:35:26 #817925

Hi There,

I am travelling by car to Geneva from Milan and back with my family, what is the best vignette to purchase?

We don’t plan using any public transport, vignette for just travelling on the motor way.

will it be cheaper to still buy the pass that allows the 50% discount on all trains and public transport?

Please advice.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 August 2018 at 11:51:23 #894387

Hi Charles, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Normally you’d drive via the Mont Blanc tunnel, not via Switzerland. So you would not need a Swiss motorway vignette if you avoid motorways on the first few kilometers to the French border. If you hire a car in Switzerland it will have the vignette.

The trip will be more comfortable by train though. Driving in Geneva and especially in Milan isn’t easy. Prices start at € 39 for train tickets (single) and € 16 for bus tickets if you book well in advance: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price. You don’t need any pass if this is the only trip you plan to make. Unless you’re traveling with children between 6 and 15, in that case you may save a little with a Junior travelcard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 12:40:42 #894388

Thanks Arno, but I’m not sure if I made myself clear, I mean I will be driving a hired vehicle from Milan Bergamo Airport to Geneva where we will stay overnight and then drive back to Bibione in Northern Italy the following day. We are 9 in total with 4 kids and 1 teenager.

So yes, if the route takes us through the Mont Blanc tunnel but leads to Geneva, then that is fine but either way, I will be driving in Switzerland. The route should be about 4 hrs long based on aaroute planner.

Please advice best scenic route. Travel is in the day (leaving round about 12 noon ) so kids can have fun, also any advice on where to stop for rest, food and something for the kids to do.

Thank you very much

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 19:21:09 #894389

Hi Charles,

I haven’t driven in that area so can’t give a personal recommendation. You are really limited to two options. Either through Mont Blanc or go north before that to Martigny and the north side of Lake Geneva (Montreux etc).

Perhaps you could do a round trip and do both routes? Seems a like a very long trip for just 1 night in Geneva though.

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 August 2018 at 22:04:45 #894390

Hi Charles,

Sorry, I now understand you’re traveling in the other direction and starting from the airport. One more option is via Domodossola, the Simplon Pass and Brig.

Bibione is east of Venice. This is a lot of driving in just two days, and with two cars at least for that many people. It would be way too much for me to be honest. I’d definitely do it by train or skip Geneva entirely. Or fly into Geneva, take a train to Venice and then perhaps a car from there. If driving, take your time, and take traffic jams into account. I spent 2.5 hours waiting to enter the Gotthard tunnel recently. I don’t know how bad the Mont Blanc tunnel can be.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 7:51:56 #894391

Thanks guys, your insight is great in helping me make decisions when I next plan a trip.

This one is kind of done in the sense that I have a van that can fit all 9 of us booked already to pick up when we land in Milan airport and then start the journey to Geneva, perhaps I’ll go through the Mont Blanc tunnel this time and plan better next time to take account of your suggested routes.

Also accommodation for onward journeys in Bibione and Verona have all been confirmed and I can’t cancel any of them right now without losing all the money so I would like to do this short one and consider a long stay in Switzerland next time.

Now, back to my initial question, do I need to just get a vignette for the motorway in advance? Will that be cheaper or just get it in the border crossing?

Please help.

Thank you all

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 12:14:54 #894392

Wither option works. Arno gave a link on his first reply that will give you your options for buying the vignette.

Like Arno, I might suggest going to shorter distance. Perhaps stay in Chamonix or Montreux (just so avoid the long day of driving). Unless of course your Geneva hotel is non-refundable!

Either way I’m sure you’ll see some great scenery!

• The thread ‘By car from Milan to Geneva and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.