By car from Zurich to La Tzoumaz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 12:11:19 #816045

Hi, We have decided to hire an automatic car and drive from Zurich to La Tzoumaz. Looking at the website, there are 3 ways to get there but the route we are planning on taking is via A1 and A12 which is about 3 hours and 277 kms through Bern, Fribourg, Montreaux, Martigny and Riddes.

Any advice on this route? We plan to start about 9.00am on a Friday. Can we expect peak hour traffic at this time in the morning or other events to expect or be aware of this route. Where can we get a street map as a back up to the GPS just so we know the direction we are heading. Is signage all in English on the motorway?

Thanks.

Jools

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 22:10:01 #885544

Hi Jools,

We have information and road maps located on your car web page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/car

Paper maps I haven’t dealt with in a decade or so…but I think I’ve seen them at gas stations.

Street signs will be in the local language – German and/or French on your route. But most signage are pictures so that is universal – you’ll find information on traffic regulations in Switzerland on my link above as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 22:55:12 #885545

The route you quote is the standard motorway route.

Traffic can be busy at certain times on any Swiss motorways – just as in any other European country, but as I don’t know where you normally drive, I can’t offer any comparisons. All I can say is that I live in congested south east England and comparitively speaking Swiss motorway driving is a doddle.

English is not an official language in Switzerland so there wouldn’t be any road signs in English, just as there are no road signs in the UK in French or German.

Signs will be in German as far as just before junction 8 on the A12 when you would cross into Suisse Romande

Michelin road maps are tradtionally the best road maps for drivers. Use Michelin red national map 729 for Switzerland

You can follow the route on Google street view , but here is a picture of mine showing motorway signs:

Can I ask is there any particular reason for using a car for this trip, when it will all be on motorways – so not a scenic drive as such?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 1:38:30 #885546

Hi Lucas, With our own GPS and mobile phone as a back up (it hasn’t failed us yet in France, Portugal and Romania) I imagine we should be able to get to our destination without too much drama this time- hopefully! Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 2:00:19 #885547

Hi 1960man, Thanks for info about road signage. As I said in my reply to Lucas, we shall be using our own GPS and back up mobile phone which hasn’t failed us in the past – yet!

We live in Australia where driving on the motorways is a breeze and yes, we are left hand drive too as in England. My husband has been driving in Europe when we’ve had to hire a car so he’s quite confident about it. We’ve been umming and aahing for a while about train vs car travel but the convenience for transport getting to and from La Tzoumaz and after for a wedding sort of swayed our decision towards a hire car.

Thanks again for your tips. Been most helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 15:38:44 #885548

Happy Travels Jools!

Let us know how it all went when you get home on our trip report forum (if you have time).

• The thread ‘By car from Zurich to La Tzoumaz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.