Cab ride from Geneva Airport to Old Town Geneva

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    31 March 2018 at 15:38:41 #880406

Slowpoke, the full fare for the Geneva transport system is CHF 3.00.

Btw, in addition to the ticket vending machine at the tram/bus stops, passengers may note that it is possible to by a ticket by sending a text message to a certian number. You are then charged via your mobile phone bill. This works only for Swiss cell phones!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 March 2018 at 20:01:48 #880407

Hello Snowman,

Thanks again for the jigsaw answer.

Has FARTIQ (http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/buying-tickets/fairtiq) made it to Geneva yet?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 March 2018 at 20:06:34 #880408

Hi Snowman –

<<“There is also a train line to Geneva’s main station, Cornavin. It is

located at some walking distance from the air terminal (about 10 min).”>>

Memory is unreliable after these years, but I did look again at the map. I recall that, from the time you leave the arrivals area until you reach the train station the distance is no more than 500 meters and closer to 300. So, maybe 5 minutes, if you want to be fussy .

I recall a short level walk, partly outside, under a canopy or roof, with escalators down to the train track level.

Slowpoke

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    31 March 2018 at 23:40:52 #880409

Just read all your responses and immensely grateful for all your generous inputs and information.

I emailed the hotel and they recommended for us to take Bus #10 from the airport that stops at the Rive—-few meters walk to the hotel.

To be more detailed, our plane arrives May 31st @ 22:45pm. This is going to be a long trip: 10hrs from US to Heathrow, 5 hours layover in Heathrow, then will continue from Heathrow to Geneva. Yes, we are a party of 4—-2 teens and mid-40s parents🙂🙂🙂. Under normal circumstances, we should be fast and a OK. But when jetlag kicks in it might be a different story 😊😊

We are only looking at bringing 1 suitcase plus 2 carry-ons, we’ll try our best to travel light considering the several train rides we have to take in the entire 10-day vacation.

Here’s what I thought after considering all your thoughtful ideas—- We will “play by ear” and won’t make any cab reservation. If we are done at customs and baggage claim sooner, we will get our TPG cards that SnowMan recommended and take the Bus #10 @ 23:19. We’ll take 23:39 if we miss the 23:19. If we miss both, we will hail a cab and hopefully find the “right” size cab immediately.Yes, high price would be a concern, but safety is also our priority if it’s already too late. And between the train or the bus ride, Bus #10 is direct—no more transfers/changes.

The only bummer in all this, is we are checking out from the hotel by noon on June 1st— we simply need the hotel to rest for the night. In the morning of June 1st, after 4-5 hours of sleep, we will maximize time to explore the city before we head to Chamonix at 15:00. We’ll be back in the Swiss side on the 4th, take the MontBlanc Express and proceed west by taking the GPL route.

Slowpoke, Snowman, Rockoyster, Alpenrose, Arno, you’ve been very helpful. Snowman, I’ll try to send picture of your high school alma mater then😉😉.

Final few questions for Snowman:

Is Bus#10 station easy to locate?

Is the Rive stop end of the line for Bus#10—meaning there’s now way for us hopping off early by mistake?

Thanks again you all. I’m sure this isn’t my last post; I still need a lot of information before actual departure.

Diane

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 April 2018 at 14:39:06 #880410

Hi Diane,

< We’ll be back in the Swiss side on the 4th, take the MontBlanc Express and proceed west by taking the GPL route. >

Now I’m a bit puzzled. Mont Blanc Express is a railroad line that goes through Chamonix so why first go back to the Swiss side?

And what is GPL?

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    1 April 2018 at 16:33:50 #880411

Hi Snowman,

When we check out from Bel Esperance on the 1st, we will proceed to Chamonix Mont Blanc ( French side)and stay there for 3 nights. On the 4th, we will return to Switzerland taking the Mont Blanc Express from Chamonix to Montreux. From Montreux, we will take the Golden Pass Line (GPL), the panoramic train, via Zweisimmen and stay another 3 nights in the Jungfrau region. I hope I’m making sense with the train names/routes😊😊😊. The rest of the itineraries are 2 nights possibly in Lucerne, 1 night in Zurich then head back to the States.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 April 2018 at 17:32:10 #880412

Hi Diane-

Thanks for posting the itinerary. Sounds like a good one, depending on your travel dates.

Skimming back through the thread, I could not quickly find your travel dates.

Do you plan any hiking or walking?

Please be aware that the high trails in the Jungfrau region are usually impassable up until somewhere in mid-June. Date varies with snowpack and altitude. It is the tail end of Winter at and above 2000 meters.

Snow is no good for skiing then, but it still blocks the trails and causes snowslides. Many hotels don’t open until the first week in June.

Please let us know your dates; perhaps we can make more informed comments.

This might be helpful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

There are lots of maps that can help with trains/routes.

I think the SBB/CFF timetable now can give you a map after you have set up a journey, for example.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I personally start with mapsearch.ch, because at zoom levels of 32 or below (or greater enlargement) , the train lines pop up, and are easy to visualize in the context of the towns, and where the lines run, etc. Also, you can turn on the station stops icons in the menus. Also, restaurants and accomodations. Google maps works, and there are better maps for hiking, but Mapsearch.ch is really good for visualizing the trains:

map.search.ch/?pos=635008,166800&z=32

This may also help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 April 2018 at 17:36:04 #880413

Diane

OK, I got it. I was not familiar with the acronym for the Golden Pass line.

From Chamonix to Montreux you will change trains at Martigny.

I assume you have found a suitable accommodation in Chamonix.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 April 2018 at 19:24:11 #880414

<<” Final few questions for Snowman:

Is Bus#10 station easy to locate?

Is the Rive stop end of the line for Bus#10—meaning there’s now way for us hopping off early by mistake?

Thanks again you all. I’m sure this isn’t my last post; I still need a lot of information before actual departure”>>

Hi Diane –

I don’t recall where it is, but there is typically exactly one location for all the buses. I’ll take a look at some websites, but I suspect that you can find out from a link for the Geneva airport. Signage is very good in Swiss public transport facilities, so, if all else fails, just keep looking up at the signs in the terminal.

I used Mapsearch.CH and searched for Geneva Airport TPG. I also could locate it by turning on Traffic/bus stations in the menu under Points of interest. I found that all the buses stop at one place, at a building very close to the main terminal:

map.search.ch/?q=Geneva+aeroport+TPG& poi=verkehr&near=66200 0,190000&pos=497583,12 0801&z=1024

Station Rive may not be the end of the line. Line 10 seems to continue at least as far as Place des Eaux-Vives. I failed miserably at working that out from the TPG website. And, the system map is a bit unclear for me at Station Rive. So , I looked at stations near Rive that serve the #10 line. Makes sense that it would go there; there is a train station for trains to the South at Eaux-Vives, and the #10 may be the airport connector bus. Maybe that is how you will get to Chamonix.

Snowman is welcome to correct me.

In any case, the buses and trams have lighted signs inside the bus/tram showing the upcoming stop.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 April 2018 at 9:37:53 #880415

Diane

Finding the bus stop at GVA airport :

After exiting customs, walk across the arrival level, go outside and walk left. Any citizen will gladly help you if necessary. As Slowpoke says, there is a good blazing system.

Rive is the last stop of bus 10. The previous stop is called Molard. The last stop is simply the one at which all passengers get off. In addition, there are screens inside the bus, showing the next stop.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 April 2018 at 9:41:02 #880416

Pictograms in Switzerland:

goo.gl/images/dycMEm

The one on the lower right corner shos bus stops.

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    3 April 2018 at 4:01:18 #880417

Hi Slowpoke,

We will be in the Jungrau region on June 4-6 and staying in Lauterbrunnen. I still have to plan our specific activities–like map out every points to go: Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, Top of the World, Schilthorn, Grutchschalp, Gimmelwald, etc. I am just randomly mentioning this places and we still have to iron out the order of which to visit first/last and what sequence to follow, so we are not going around in circles or wasting our time jumping from points A to B, etc.

I printed Kim’s documents and judging from the comments, it seemed like it’s going to be very useful. Though I wished it could be mapped out for me easily 😊.

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    3 April 2018 at 4:02:44 #880418

Hi Snowman,

Thanks for checking that Rive Stop and the guide on where to locate Bus # 10. I check the Geneva airport website, and obviously it’s massive. Any information to make our arrival/stay would greatly be appreciated.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 4:32:22 #880419

Hello Diane,

Talking of going round in circles, a very nice circuit to do is Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (including Birg Thrill Walk along the way). Also Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Don’t miss Schynigge Platte.

The attached extract from the Swiss Travel Pass Area of Validity Map shows you all the transport links.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2018 at 7:59:11 #880420

HI Diane0-

You wrote:

<<“I printed Kim’s documents and judging from the comments, it seemed like

it’s going to be very useful. Though I wished it could be mapped out for

me easily”>>

This map can do the job, as I described above, but there are more detailed maps that can show the trails.

<<“Personally, I start with mapsearch.ch, because at zoom levels of 32 or below (or greater enlargement) , the train lines pop up, and are easy to visualize in the context of the towns, and where the lines run, etc. Also, you can turn on the station stops icons in the menus. Also, restaurants and accomodations. Google maps works, and there are better maps for hiking, but Mapsearch.ch is really good for visualizing the trains:

map.search.ch/?pos=635008,166800&z=32

“>>

If you open that link, it shows Interlaken and Wengen. Move it so you can see to the lower right, or zoom it out a step. If you zoom it out, the train lines disappear. If you zoom it in, the train lines, cableways, etc., show up once you reach zoom level 32, as noted at the end of the URL. If you click on Points of Interest, then Traffic, and click on the options, they will appear on the map. Mouse over the icons and the station name will appear. Those station names are what you use to enter location in the SBB tinmetable that I linked above.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Click on the icon on the Mapsearch.ch map, after you have made it appear as just described. A near term short timetable for that station will appear at the left of your screen.

If you want to see the hiking trails, there is available an extremely detailed map. You will be able to find that trail on it easily.

Before I add the link, I’ll caution you that, depending on the amount of snow during Winter, trails at altitudes much above 1500 to 1800 meters may well be closed to hikers. This past winter had very heavy snow. Parts of the trails may be clear, but there may be a concern about snow slides.

My very personal favorite spectacular and easy trail is the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, in that direction. A few pictures in sunny weather are attached..

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

The trail is so easy that it is nicknamed “The Grannies’ Walk.” From Männlichen at about 2230 meters above sea level it descends easily to Kleine Scheidegg at about 2060 meters. 2230 meters is about 1.4 miles high. The air is thin. If you are not accustomed to high altitude exercise, even that modest uphill walk might make you pant a bit and pause now and then. Swiss grannies, with their boots and hiking staffs charge up that traill at twice my speed, with nary a hesitation.. The views of the Eiger are much netter if you walk in the downhill direction, so that makes it easy to choose.

I have been there in on June 6th, and found the trail to be completely blocked by snow drifts. A few years ago, in 2015 I took my grandson up to Männlichen on the first day that the trail was open – June 15th. The clouds were so thick that you could only see a short distance. The local micro-weather report had suggested that there might be a window of sun and clear skies, but it was brief. The top of the Jungfrau appeared to be above the cloud layers. We went back down the cableway and train to Wngen and the Lauterbrunnen, and up to Grütschalp. From there, the short train (really, a trolley) ride along the cliff edge to Mürren was cmpletely socked in. After lunch, with a few short breaks in the clouds, we went to Brienz, and looked at the lake, and visited Jobin, the most famous of the woodcarvers, and bought a music box for my granddaughter.

You are wise to allocate a few days in the region. The weather chages rapidly in the Alps. And, it comes in layers. It may be clear on high and foggy down below. Or, vice versa. When my Grandson and I arrived in Wengen, for about an hour, we had a clear, slightly hazy, view of the Lauterbrunen Valley, very much like the one attached. And, of course, it was clear on the day we had to leave.

After that digression, here is a link to a very very detailed map, issued by the Swiss Land Office (SwissTopo). (There is an app, by the way. Simplified, and useful obn the trails. –

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 38028.20&N=1161677.21& zoom=5

I have clicked on the option in the menu to turn on “Hiking Trails.”

The trails are color-coded according to the scheme described here:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

The nice thing about that map is that it gives you altitudes. And, since it is a topographic map, if you can read the contours, you can tell where the climbs and descents are steep, or, easy.

There are several other maps available, and Google Maps is certainly useful for some of the same information as Mapsearch.ch. I find it easier to use Mapsearch, but, I am used to it.

You cannot beat the SwissTopo map with all the details, if you want them. It is extremely accurate, and, buried in the menus, iy has much information for professionals.

It is probably overkill for you,especialy since th higher altitude trails will be inaccessible in early June. Still, it works at all altitudes. 😉

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 April 2018 at 13:18:12 #880421

HI Diane-

My last post got caught in a glitch in the Forum software. I tried to open and edit it, and could not.

Please accept my apologies for the misspellings and elisions.

Here are the images of the “Grannie’s Walk.”

Who knows, you might he lucky enough to find it open, unlikely as it might seem.

The cropped image shows hikers that are just barely visible on the full image. Lets you visualize the scale. The Eiger grows over you as you walk toward it. By tye way, Eiger translates as “ogre.”

Slowpoke

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:21:20 #880422

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you very much for these tips & suggestions . Very much appreciated as always.

But my apologies if some of my follow up questions below are probably redundant and stupid:(

Brig Thrill Walk and First Cliff Walk are 2 different outings? Where would First fit in in the sequence of activities?

Where’s Klein Scheidegge or Wengen ? Where’s the Ice Palace?. Where would these 3 fit in?

When buying discounted tickets ( after the STP discount), would it be the same price if it’s a one-way or round trip tickets we are buying?

Thanks as always.

Diane

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:35:04 #880423

Hello Diane,

Birg is a stop on the cableway to Schiltorn, First is over Grindelwald way.

Have a look at the map I posted to work out where towns and stations are.

The Ice Palace is at Jungfraujoch. Try googling it.

You generally need to buy return tickets unless you plan to go up a mountain and walk down! 🤓

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:41:59 #880424

Hi Snowpoke,

Grannie’s Walk is interesting, I hope we can squeeze that in or is along the route that Rockoyster suggested. I just hope the weather is going to cooperate and a lot of snow has melted. We were just in Iceland 5 months ago, and I don’t want to be too bundled up this time again 🙂 I will check out the links you sent me and see which ones are doable on the days we are in that region. Thanks for taking the time…

dianesher
    Participant
    33 posts
    3 April 2018 at 22:48:42 #880425

Hi Rockoyster,

I printed the map but it doesn’t have a map key or legend. Is it just a page or there’s more to it.

Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • The thread ‘Cab ride from Geneva Airport to Old Town Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.