Recommended cable car near Lugano

Recommended cable car near Lugano

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
cvilardi
cvilardi
4 posts
May 18, 2018 - 11:47 PM

I will be taking a three-day trip to Lugano at the end of June. I would like to visit a mountain that uses a cable car to reach its summit. I don't mind traveling an hour or two from Lugano on a scenic train. Any suggestions?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4562 posts
expert
May 19, 2018 - 12:12 AM in reply to cvilardi

Hi cvlardi -

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

This map will help you find Mountain Transport of all kinds:

Zoom in on Lugano:

map.search.ch/?pos=717664,96448&z=64& poi=bergbahn

Under "Points of Interest" in the Menu, turn on traffic then select Mountain Transport.

Mouse over the icons for a name, and then use it to check the timetable or the internet.

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

An hour or two on train can take you quite a distance from Lugano. You could get to Brunnen, for example, to the Urniberg Seilbahn, in 2 hours and 4 minutes.

However, you might check some of the mountain railways that show on that mapbnear Lugano, if you do not insist on a cable car.

Slowpoke

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
May 19, 2018 - 12:59 AM in reply to cvilardi

Hi cvilardi,

There is a list of cable cars and funiculars in the Ticino region here. In Lugano there are only 2 funiculars up the local mountains and no cable cars that I am aware of.

Arno
Arno
10537 posts
expert &
May 20, 2018 - 9:16 AM

Hi Cvilardi,

I'm not sure if you count gondolas as a cable car? It's basically a series of small cable cars. There is a nice long route from Rivera-Bironico up to Alpe Foppa (or more commonly called Monte Tamaro).

There is also a cable car from Locarno to Cimetta. Actually there is 3 modes of transport involved: funicular - cable car - chair lift.

Both places are very easy to reach by train. Rivera-Bironico direct from Lugano, and Locarno is one change in most cases. I'll attach a picture of each peak.

Last modified on May 20, 2018 - 9:17 AM by Arno
Please login to see the attached documents
cvilardi
cvilardi
4 posts
May 20, 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions. I will do more research to see which fits best with my schedule. Thank you again!

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2257 posts
top member
May 21, 2018 - 4:51 AM in reply to Arno

Great photos! Thanks Arno.

Alpenrose

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018