Recommended cable car near Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 23:47:01 #816082

I will be taking a three-day trip to Lugano at the end of June. I would like to visit a mountain that uses a cable car to reach its summit. I don’t mind traveling an hour or two from Lugano on a scenic train. Any suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:12:52 #885741

Hi cvlardi –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

This map will help you find Mountain Transport of all kinds:

Zoom in on Lugano:

map.search.ch/?pos=717664,96448&z=64& poi=bergbahn

Under “Points of Interest” in the Menu, turn on traffic then select Mountain Transport.

Mouse over the icons for a name, and then use it to check the timetable or the internet.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

An hour or two on train can take you quite a distance from Lugano. You could get to Brunnen, for example, to the Urniberg Seilbahn, in 2 hours and 4 minutes.

However, you might check some of the mountain railways that show on that mapbnear Lugano, if you do not insist on a cable car.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 0:59:47 #885742

Hi cvilardi,

There is a list of cable cars and funiculars in the Ticino region here. In Lugano there are only 2 funiculars up the local mountains and no cable cars that I am aware of.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 May 2018 at 9:16:49 #885743

Hi Cvilardi,

I’m not sure if you count gondolas as a cable car? It’s basically a series of small cable cars. There is a nice long route from Rivera-Bironico up to Alpe Foppa (or more commonly called Monte Tamaro).

There is also a cable car from Locarno to Cimetta. Actually there is 3 modes of transport involved: funicular – cable car – chair lift.

Both places are very easy to reach by train. Rivera-Bironico direct from Lugano, and Locarno is one change in most cases. I’ll attach a picture of each peak.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 22:57:58 #885744

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful suggestions. I will do more research to see which fits best with my schedule. Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 4:51:56 #885745

Great photos! Thanks Arno.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Recommended cable car near Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.