Switzerland cable car maintenance in April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 11:21:13 #813751

Hi there, I’m visiting Switzerland on mid-April until early of May. On the other forum I read the information that some of the cable cars are closed for maintenance.

Cable car Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp – closed from 30 Apr until 4 May 2018

Cable car Mürren-Schilthorn – closed from 23 Apr to 27 April 2018

I’ll be staying at Interlaken from April 26-30. Fortunately I can still take the cable car up to Schilthorn either on 28 or 29 of April:-)

Is there any other information regarding cable cars, trains or even hiking trails in the Swiss Alps region that will be closed on April due to maintenance or any other reasons?

Thank you:-)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 16:44:08 #872438

Hi Yosepsup and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The cable cars to Männlichen from both Wengen and Grindelwald will be closed as well.
    Is there any mountain/area you want to go in particular?

Hiking will also be very limited in the Jungfrau region, typically until late June due to winter lasting quite a bit longer at higher elevations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 18:05:22 #872439

Hi Lucas, thank you for your prompt reply.

Here’s my current plan.

April 26: arriving at Interlaken from Geneva, then visit Blausee.

April 27: Interlaken – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald – First (Bachsee) – Interlaken

April 28: Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Schilthorn – Trummelbach Falls – Interlaken

April 29: Interlaken – Schynige Platte / Harder Kulm – Interlaken + Lake Thun / Brienz

April 30: leaving for Lucerne

I’m still working on my plan and I’m still flexible with it. Any advice would be highly appreciated:-)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 November 2017 at 18:55:46 #872440

Schynige Platte Railway does not recommence operation until 26 May.

The funicular from Mürren to Allmendhubel is not operating.

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    30 November 2017 at 21:26:18 #872441

When you say that “The cable cars to Mannlichen from both Wengen and Grindelwald will be closed as well.” can you provide the dates that they will be closed. We’re going to be in Interlaken from mid-April until mid-May and the Grund – Mannlichen ride was one I was really looking forward to. Then hiking down to Wengen. Do you think snow on the ground will be a problem?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 November 2017 at 21:32:00 #872442

Hi stodgytj and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Cable car Wengen-Männlichen – closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Gondola Grindelwald Grund-Männlichen – closed 3 April till 18 May 2018

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 0:13:54 #872443

>> I’ll be staying at Interlaken from April 26-30 … Is there any other information regarding cable cars, trains or even hiking trails in the Swiss Alps region that will be closed on April due to maintenance or any other reasons?

Apart from the mountain transport already mentioned in your post, the train to the Brienzer Rothorn does not reopen until 2 June.

High-altitude hiking trails will probably be closed. You can get information about the status of trails from the local tourist offices.

>> April 27: Interlaken – Jungfraujoch – Grindelwald – First (Bachsee) – Interlaken

The gondola from Grindelwald to First will be operating. You can get information about the status of the trail to Bachalpsee from one of the local tourist offices.

>> April 28: Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Schilthorn – Trummelbach Falls – Interlaken

Trümmelbach Falls will be open.

>> April 29: Interlaken – Schynige Platte / Harder Kulm – Interlaken + Lake Thun / Brienz

Rockoyster has already mentioned that the train to Schynige Platte will not be operating, but the funicular to Harder Kulm will be. Boats will be operating on both the Brienzersee and Thunersee (Lake Brienz, Lake Thun).

>> April 30: leaving for Lucerne

You will be able to get to the mountains around Luzern. Whether or not the Pilatus cogwheel railway from Alpnachstad has reopened will depend on the weather. You can check here before going up:

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/

If the cogwheel train is not operating, you can go up and back on the cableway from Kriens.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 7:28:19 #872444

Thank you guys! You’re awesome!

• The thread ‘Switzerland cable car maintenance in April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.