Cable car to Piz Nair via Corviglia

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 21:41:40 #815094

I plan on being in St Moritz on April 23 and would like to take the cable car up Corviglia – Piz Nair. Question is how I get from the village to the cable car and what is the cost. I will be traveling on an 6 day STP so will a discount apply

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 April 2018 at 22:47:31 #880660

I believe the funiculars up to Corviglia only operate to 8 April and resume 23 June.

Not covered by Swiss Travel Pass anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 1:01:08 #880661

As rockoyster has already advised, the funiculars and cable car to Piz Nair via Corviglia are closed for maintenance from 9 Apr-22 Jun 2018. Most other mountain transport in the area is also closed while you are there, as it is the off-season between the ski and hiking seasons, so they use this time to undertake maintenance.

However, there are two options you might like to consider, which will be operating on 23 April:

Surlej/Silvaplana–Murtèl–Corvatsch cable car – 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass

http://www.myswissalps.com/co rvatsch

http://www.corvatsch.ch/en/ti ckets/summer/prices/si ngle-tickets/

Cable car to Diavolezza glacier – no discount with Swiss Travel Pass

http://www.diavolezza.ch/en/t ickets/winter/

Look for the heading Single trips for pedestrians and double it for the return fare.

Both are outside St Moritz, but easy to get to on public transport. With your Swiss Travel Pass, transport from St Moritz to both cable car valley stations is free.

You can plan how to get there with the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The stops you need are:

Corvatsch

• Enter From St Moritz, To Corvatsch into timetable
    • It will take 56 minutes from St Moritz railway station to the top of Corvatsch.
    • You will travel first by bus to the stop Surlej, Corvatschbahn, then by cable car to Corvatsch, passing mid-station Murtèl on the way up.

Diavolezza

• Enter From St Moritz, To Diavolezza into timetable
    • It will take you just over an hour to get from St Moritz to the top of the Diavolezza.
    • To start, you will travel by train from St Moritz along the Bernina Express route on a regional train to the station Bernina Diavolezza, which is a “Stop on request” stop.
    • You will need to press a button near the door well before the station to get the train to stop, so do this after the train has left the station Bernina Suot, which is the station before Bernina Diavolezza.
    • On your way back, there will be a button to press on the Bernina Diavolezza station platform to alert the next train to stop there.
    • Stop on request” is “Halt auf Verlangen” in German and “Fermada sün dumonda” in Romansch. (In that area, “Fermada sün dumonda” might be spelt slightly differently, as there are several varieties of Romansch.)

You can see some photos of the Diavolezza Glacier attached to my post of Jul 28, 2017 – 5:42 AM on the following page if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/alternate-trains-for-glacier-express

Alpenrose

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    2 April 2018 at 15:36:27 #880662

Alpenrose, if staying in a place that offers the free mountain transport, it vaguely lists “local travel”; would the transportation you mentioned be included in th local travel? It’s very unclear. The hostel only specifically mentions the cables and lifts in the offer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 4:39:05 #880663

>> if staying in a place that offers the free mountain transport, it vaguely lists “local travel”; would the transportation you mentioned be included in th local travel?

Yes, both are free with the Mountain Railways Included card. The card is valid from 1 May to 31 October 2018 and is given free to guests staying more than one night at participating accommodation providers in the St Moritz area.

Expand the heading Valid for Engadin St. Moritz Mountain Railways and Cable Cars on the following page for a full list of included mountain railways:

http://www.engadin.stmoritz.c h/sommer/en/bergbahnen -inclusive/

The Pontresina Youth Hostel Mountain Railways Included card includes the Upper Engadin free public transport offers as well, i.e.

• ENGADIN BUS, excluding night buses after 9.30 p.m.
    • PostAuto
    • St. Moritz town buses
    • The Rhaetian Railway (2nd class) on routes : Cinuos-chel/Brail – Maloja, St. Moritz – Alp Grüm, Samedan – Pontresina, Bever – Spinas

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 4:55:28 #880664

>> To start, you will travel by train from St Moritz along the Bernina Express route on a regional train to the station Bernina Diavolezza, which is a “Stop on request” stop.

What I forgot to mention is that the valley station for the Diavolezza cable car is adjacent to the Bernina Diavolezza railway station.

Alpenrose

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    4 April 2018 at 2:06:55 #880665

Is the Rhaetian railway the same as what you would search for on SBB? For example if I wanted to get to Morteratsch from Pontresina and I search it on SBB could I use that transportation using the guest card? also, is the card valid only on the days staying at the hotel (do they get stamped or something) or is it valid past the days stayed at the lodging?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 2:25:46 #880666

Rhaetian Railways run the trains in that neck of the woods. They appear on the SBB Timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 8:20:27 #880667

>> For example if I wanted to get to Morteratsch from Pontresina and I search it on SBB could I use that transportation using the guest card?

Yes.

>> is the card valid only on the days staying at the hotel

Yes.

Alpenrose

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    4 April 2018 at 14:21:52 #880668

Thank you! I did find a very nice campground but with the prices of the cables and lifts that are not otherwise covered by the STP it is more cost effective (by far!) to stay at the hostel. i just wasn’t sure if the card is valid on the day of checkout as I would want to make use of it then as well. One thing though, it looks on the STP validity map that the only thing not covered by the STP is Diavolezza and Piz Nair, the other cables are 50% from the looks of it. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:26:14 #880669

>> i just wasn’t sure if the card is valid on the day of checkout as I would want to make use of it then as well.

I don’t remember whether it is valid on both the days of arrival and departure, but it would be worth enquiring with the hostel.

The only thing I do remember about the St Moritz card is that when you have to go through a turnstile or barrier gate (e.g. for cable cars), you need to touch the card against the reader rather than insert it.

>> One thing though, it looks on the STP validity map that the only thing not covered by the STP is Diavolezza and Piz Nair, the other cables are 50% from the looks of it. Am I interpreting this correctly?

No, there are a few more that aren’t shown at all on the Swiss Travel Pass validity map, that are covered by the Mountain Railways Included card:

• Funicular Punt Muragl to Muottas Muragl (9 Jun–21 Oct 2018)
    • Chairlift Pontresina to Alp Languard (9 Jun–21 Oct 2018)
    • Cable car St Moritz to Bad-Signal (9 Jun–14 Oct 2018)
    • Gondola Celerina to Marguns (23 Jun–14 Oct 2018)
    • Chairlift Marguns to Trais Fluors (6 Jul-7 Sep 2018, Fridays only)
    • St Moritz chairlift Suvretta-Randolins (23 Jun–2 Sep 2018)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 0:42:17 #880670

>> The Pontresina Youth Hostel Mountain Railways Included card includes the Upper Engadin free public transport offers as well, i.e.

• PostAuto

• St. Moritz town buses

• The Rhaetian Railway (2nd class) on routes : Cinuos-chel/Brail – Maloja, St. Moritz – Alp Grüm, Samedan – Pontresina, Bever – Spinas

Re my post of Apr 3, 2018 – 4:39 AM above I’ve just realised that leaving out a line break might result in confusion, as the lack of a line break suggests that trains go to Maloja, which they don’t – you have to get a bus there.

So, to clarify, if you get a Mountain Railways Included card that also includes the Upper Engadin free public transport offers (not all cards do – it depends on the accommodation provider), these are the transport providers that are included:

• PostAuto
    • St. Moritz town buses
    • The Rhaetian Railway (2nd class)

This is the extent of coverage for the free public transport:

• Cinuos-chel/Brail – Maloja
    • St. Moritz – Alp Grüm
    • Samedan – Pontresina
    • Bever – Spinas

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Cable car to Piz Nair via Corviglia’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.