About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Cable cars in the Davos/Klosters area
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Cable cars in the Davos/Klosters area

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Snowman
Snowman
770 posts
top member
May 5, 2020 - 5:50 PM

Hi there,

I am planning a hike from Langwies to Klosters or Davos. To do it all in one day is a bit too much for me, and places to spend the night are scarce, and too close to either endpoints of the trip. But there are plenty of cable cars or cogwheel trains in the area, on the Davos side. I can't figure out which ones operate in the summer, and not only for skiers in the winter. I would appreciate if someone can give me reliable information of the summer operating times of the following:

- Cablecar Parsennfurgga -Gruobenalp,

- Gruobenalp - Gotschnagrat

- Gotschnagrat - Klosters. I wouldn't be surprised if these operate only during the skiing season.

- Cablecar Strelaalp - Schatzalp

- Cogwheel train Schatzalp - Davos Platz (Schatzalpbahn).

I am grateful for any hint. Couldn't find the information on the Davos-Klosters website...

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7539 posts
expert
May 6, 2020 - 12:41 AM in reply to Snowman

Hi Snowman-

<<"I would appreciate if someone can give me reliable information of the summer operating times of the following:">>

Have you considered checking the SBB website for your dates with those place names?

What dates do you plan to hike?

Slowpoke

Snowman
Snowman
770 posts
top member
May 6, 2020 - 8:29 AM

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks for your input.

< Have you considered checking the SBB website? >

Yes. I have searched for Strelaalp to Schatzalp. The SBB website returns a 15-hour trip from Strelice to Schatzalp. Strelice is a place in the Czech Republic...

< What dates do you plan to hike? >

Sorry for having forgotten one of the rules of this forum. I have no precise date, it will (would?) be during summer. We want to be sure about hotel reopening etc. before deciding for sure. We would prefer July for the longer daylight time. What we have in mind is a 5 day hike from Val Lumnezia (probably Lumbrain) to Klosters, via Ilanz/Glion, Chur, Langwies. So that implies a loosening of the soft lockdown in Switzerland so that I can practice hiking again. For about two months now I have never walked more than 5,000 steps a day. My daily average last month was 2,500 steps per day, not enough at all to attempt these long hikes.

Last modified on May 6, 2020 - 8:33 AM by Snowman
Ildiko
Ildiko
1023 posts
top member &
May 6, 2020 - 9:49 AM in reply to Snowman

Hi Snowman,

Gruobenalp and Strelaalp-Schatzalp are only open in wintertime. Gotschna cable car and Schatzalp cogwheel train are also running during the summer. You can find the summer operating times here: www.davos.ch/en/summer/mountains/summer-operating-times/.

Ildiko

More information: www.myswissalps.com/davos/travel and www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Last modified on May 6, 2020 - 9:51 AM by Ildiko
Snowman
Snowman
770 posts
top member
May 6, 2020 - 12:47 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thanks Ildiko. I suppose at Gotschna the opened section is Gotschnaboden to Klosters, and that Gotschnagrat to Gotschnaboden is closed in summer.

Snowman

Ildiko
Ildiko
1023 posts
top member &
May 7, 2020 - 9:14 PM in reply to Snowman

Hi Snowman,

once they will open the cable cars again, you can see the list of operating cable cars here: www.davos.ch/davos-klosters/aktuell/sommersportbericht/offene-bergbahnen/

I hope this will help,

Ildiko

1960man
1960man
2742 posts
top member
May 7, 2020 - 10:50 PM in reply to Ildiko

Technical note: Davos - Schatzalp is a funicular, not a cogwheel train

Very much open in summer as it is mainly a summer resort area.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020