Cable cars between Lauterbrunnen & Murren

Cable cars between Lauterbrunnen & Murren

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
EvanWilliams
EvanWilliams
4 posts
May 16, 2018 - 12:23 AM

First off thanks to everybody who takes the time to post on this forum and maintain this site--I am a planner (worrier) so greatly appreciate being able to research our trip to Switzerland in advance. During our stay this August in the Interlaken area, I want to take advantage of the many cable cars that connect villages/mountains and enjoy the wonderful scenery, without necessarily going to tops of any of the high peaks. I've read about the stretch between Lauterbrunnen and Murren, and am trying to see on Google Maps how to best enjoy traveling from one to the other, without spending hours on foot. I certainly don't mind walking (especially in the Swiss Alps) , but we want to experience as many aspects of the region as possible during our (unfortunately) short stay.

I can see that there's a cable-car(?) between Lauterbrunnen and Grutschalp, and it looks lovely once you arrive. From there, could I walk directly to Winteregg? (It looks like 'yes' on Google, but I'm just making sure). From Winteregg, it appears that there's a series of either cable-cars or ski-lifts heading South: Winteregg-->Maulerhubel-->Allmiboden-->Allmendhubel ... Will all of these be running in August?

For the descent, is it possible to walk from Allmendhubel to Murren, or is there a different path that is suggested? I think finally we would take the cable-car from the Murren Schilthorn station to Gimmelwald, and then to Stechelberg....

Thank you again for the help and suggestions!

Lucas
Lucas
5536 posts
expert &
May 16, 2018 - 4:45 AM in reply to EvanWilliams

HI EvanWilliams,

Yes, you can walk to Winteregg or all the way to Mürren if you like: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/gruetscha lp-muerren or take a train if you like

Everything would be running in August (trains and cable cars if you choose to use them). For other hikes/activities around Lauterbrunnen look here: Lauterbrunnen/activiti es.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2120 posts
top member
May 16, 2018 - 8:00 AM in reply to EvanWilliams

Hi Evan,

>> I can see that there's a cable-car(?) between Lauterbrunnen and Grutschalp, and it looks lovely once you arrive. From there, could I walk directly to Winteregg?

Yes, it is a cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp. From there you can get the train or walk to Mürren; or walk to the halfway point at Winteregg, and continue to Mürren by train from there. There is more information here:

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

muerren.swiss/en/summe r/product/track/52-gruetschalp-winteregg-muerren/

>> From Winteregg, it appears that there's a series of either cable-cars or ski-lifts heading South: Winteregg-->Maulerhubel-->Allmiboden-->Allmendhubel ... Will all of these be running in August?

They are ski lifts, and won't be running in August.

There is a funicular from Mürren to Allmendhubel though, and some walks from Allmendhubel:

www.interlaken.ch/en/a ctivities-excursions-adventure-festivals/a-world-of-fun-winter-activities/experience-allmendhubel-muerren.html

muerren.swiss/en/summe r/product/track/muerre n-allmendhubel-mit-flower-trail/

>> Murren Schilthorn station to Gimmelwald, and then to Stechelberg

Yes, that is a dramatic ride. Then you can walk or get the bus along the valley floor back to Lauterbrunnen.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 16, 2018 - 8:10 AM by Alpenrose666
EvanWilliams
EvanWilliams
4 posts
May 16, 2018 - 2:14 PM

Thank you so much for the info! The section w the ski lifts looks to span Less than a mile, so not too bad and the scenery will be heavenly. Thanks again

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018