Can a Swiss Card be purchased in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2014 at 16:21:23 #806644

My daughter is currently studying abroad in Vienna and is planning a trip to Switzerland this weekend. She doesn’t have enough time to order it by mail. She wants to know if you can purchase the Swiss Card when she gets to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 September 2014 at 16:40:29 #841082

Hello errantelaura! Yes, the Swiss Card is for sale in Switzerland, but only at airport and border stations. More information is available here. The border station in this case would probably be Buchs. So she could get off the train there, buy the card, and continue on the next train. If purchased online it takes 3 days via the Swiss Railways webshop (http://www.swissrailways.com), so that should not be any problem if ordered today. In that case she can stay seated in Buchs.

I hope your daughter has a great stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2014 at 16:48:04 #841083

Thanks Anika. She is taking the overnight train from Vienna to Zurich. Would she be able to get the Swiiss Half price Card at the Zurich station?

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 September 2014 at 17:04:21 #841084

Do you mean whether she can get the Swiss Card in Zurich? Yes, it’s available there, but it’s not available on board of the night train. Do note that the leg between the border and Zurich isn’t covered if she buys her pass after arrival in Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2014 at 17:09:22 #841085

Sorry I was clear. She already paid for her ticket for Vienna to Zurich. I just wanted to make sure she could purchase the Swiss Half Price Card at the Zurich train station since you had mention Buchs.

Thanks again for all your help.

• The thread ‘Can a Swiss Card be purchased in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.