5 minute connection at Luzern train station ok?

5 minute connection at Luzern train station ok?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Nishitdoshi
Nishitdoshi
1 post
Aug 9, 2017 - 8:51 AM

Hi ,

I am planning from Engelberg to Basel on 12th September to catch a jet flight to NICE, France.

I have a train early morning by 6.01 from Engelberg to Luzern Platform 13 (expected arrival is 6.49am ) via LUZERN-ENGELBERG EXPRESS.

I have another train from Luzern platform 7 at 6.54 am to Basel.

query :

1. is this doable? is train punctual?

2. if I miss my train which is at 6.54 to Basel then the next train is at 7.54. this will reach Basel airport by 9.18.

my flight is by 10.50. I want to be as early as I can to the airport.

please advise.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2136 posts
top member
Aug 9, 2017 - 9:29 AM in reply to Nishitdoshi

If your flight leaves at 10:50, you would usually want to be at the airport no later than 8:50.

Whilst trains in Switzerland are on time 99.99% of the time, when there is a flight involved, I wouldn't risk being on the last train that would get me to the airport in time for check in. I would get the second-last connection, with the last connection being the back-up plan.

However, travelling from Engelberg, there is no suitable earlier connection. If I were you, I would travel to Basel the evening before and spend the night in a hotel near the station, from where the airport bus leaves. That way you can be confident and relaxed about catching your flight.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018