Can I do the Bernina Express in 1 day from Flims?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 18:01:33 #811369

I will be staying in Flims. I wish to know how long is the train journey from Chur to Lugano and back. Is it possible to do it in 1 day. If I choose to stay overnight in Lugano, would it be better to go back to Flims via another rail route? For the journey mentioned above, all I need is the STP, right? And by the way, what is the difference between the scenic trains and the regular trains. Since they cover almost the same routes, is it better to choose the scenic trains? And do I have to top up the fares if I’m using the STP on a scenic train.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 18:44:14 #861381

Hi Kumyong and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can check the schedules for trains using the Swiss railways timetable here.
    Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express (BEX) is a little over 4 hours.

The panoramic trains offer larger windows and travel a little slower than standard trains. On your return trip you can take a quicker standard train in about 3 hours.

With the Swiss Travel Pass you are covered for the Bernina Express ticket except for the mandatory seat reservation – this can be made here. Reservations are only needed on these panoramic trains.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2017 at 20:49:32 #861382

Hi kumyong,

I think Lucas may have meant Chur to Tirano is 4 hours. Tirano to Lugano is another 3 hours on top of that on bus. Not possible to return same day. You can do Chur to Tirano return if you can get to Chur by around 8.30am when BEX departs.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2017 at 21:54:30 #861383

hi again kumyong,

If you are happy to overnight in Lugano consider Glacier Express to Andermatt then to Lugano via Göschenen. Next day take Bernina Express back to Chur. Great round trip. Going the other way round connections to the panorama trains more difficult I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 0:46:11 #861384

Thanks a lot. It’s very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 7:36:54 #861385

I did mean Tirano, thanks for the catch Rockoyster!

• The thread ‘Can I do the Bernina Express in 1 day from Flims?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.