Can I get from Lugano to Zermatt by train ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 1:08:40 #817936

Hello ,

I will be traveling in September to Lugano and making plans to stay in Zermatt for a couple of days before traveling back to Zurich. I will use Swiss Travel Pass and travel mostly by trains .My understanding is that I can take a train from Lugano to Andermatt and board Glacier Express to Zermatt . Is this the only connection available ? Will STP cover the entire trip ?

Thank you

Dorothy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2018 at 10:52:02 #894432

Hello Dorothy and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Another alternative is to go Lugano to Zermatt via Locarno and Domodossola. You’ll travel on the Centovalli Express between Locarno and Domodossola. All covered by STP.

The Glacier Express Andermatt to Brig is the “boring” part relatively speaking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 11:54:44 #894433

Hi Dorothy,

Both trips noted by Rockoyster are good, scenic options. Do note, if you travel by Glacier Express you need to reserve a seat: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to check train schedules and durations to see which works best for you also: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

• The thread ‘Can I get from Lugano to Zermatt by train ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.