Can I get the ferry from Spiez to St Beatus Caves?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2017 at 16:39:15 #810740

Hello! I am catching a train from Chamonix to Spies specifically to see the St Beatus Caves. I can see there is a ferry stop from Faulensee to Beatushöhlen-Sundlauenen and a route on the map (route: Faulensee > beatenburch > Beatushohlen) But I cannot find a fare when I go to see how to purchase one. The stops are not included. I would like to try avoiding catching the bus all the way to interlaken to see the caves, and instead enjoy a more direct and beautiful route on Lake Thun. Any suggestions? Kind regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2017 at 0:25:37 #858710

Hi SoniaAustr –

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

Glad you have joined the forum.

Lake boat travel on the Thunersee (Lake Thun) has seasonal schedules. In the winter, service is very limited.

It is not possible to give an answer until we know when you are going.

The general time table can give you an idea of times of travel, whether there is service, and does include lake boats.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

There is a specific timetable, too:

fahrplan.bls.ch/index. html?travelMode=ship

In August for example there are a few trips throughout the day at xx28 from Spiez, via Faulensee at xx40, taking 49 minutes from Spiez, or 37 minutes from Fauensee to Beatushöhlen by boat. It appears that the first one is at 0928.

Check on your desired dates.

You will not need a reservation.

The costs in the general time table are for holders of a half-fare pass of some kind. Usually, you can double them if you have no discount. I tried for this trip and could not get an answer, but my guess is that single 2nd class ticket will be on the order of 10-15CHF.

Maybe Arno or Annika can make the SBB site give a price. I could not.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2017 at 9:17:16 #858711

Thank you Slowpoke so much for your reply. This answers the questions as to how I may have overlooked the information online, the stops are seasonal!

I am going in the high season (Australian winter) and I will be travelling on Thursday the 29th of June. I will follow the links that you have given me and have another go at seeing specifically if I can travel directly across lake Thun. Part of wanting to travel across lake Thun is to get a close perspective o how beautiful the lake is, I really am so excited to be going to Switzerland!!!!!

Kind regards

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2017 at 12:42:13 #858712

G’Day Sonia-

June 29th surely is Summer season. The schedule I looked at should work in late June.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Can I get the ferry from Spiez to St Beatus Caves?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.