Day trip from Interlaken to Chocolate train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 18:51:15 #813076

Hi

I am planning to visit Switzerland in mid-September. Can I catch the chocolate train if I leave early morning from Interlaken for Montreux? If yes which train and time would suit me? And the station for the chocolate train is same where I will get down while coming from Interlaken? Are there any delays in train usually?

Also once I will complete my Chocolate train and come back in Montreux around 6 pm, Can I take a golden pass route and take a panoramic train back to Interlaken? Is it possible? If yes, kindly guide. If not please advise other feasible options.

Regards

Kanika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 1:54:17 #868956

Hi Kanika, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I am planning to visit Switzerland in mid-September. Can I catch the chocolate train if I leave early morning from Interlaken for Montreux? If yes which train and time would suit me?

In September, the Chocolate Train departs Montreux on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8:57. In order to get there in time from Interlaken, you would need to leave at 6:00 and take the fastest route via Spiez and Visp. You wouldn’t be able to get there on time using the Golden Pass route via Zweisimmen.

>> And the station for the chocolate train is same where I will get down while coming from Interlaken?

Yes.

>> Are there any delays in train usually?

Not usually.

>> Also once I will complete my Chocolate train and come back in Montreux around 6 pm, Can I take a golden pass route and take a panoramic train back to Interlaken? Is it possible?

Yes, it’s possible, but would take at least 4 hours. Sunset will be around 19:40, so a lot of your trip would be in the dark, and you would of course miss the scenery.

>> If not please advise other feasible options.

The fastest way back from Montreux to Interlaken via Visp and Spiez takes around 2.25 to 2.5 hours.

If you just want to go to the chocolate factory without travelling on the Chocolate Train, you can get there on local trains via Bern and Bulle in just under 2.5 hours. The stop you need is Broc-Fabrique. Going via part of the Golden Pass route would take at least 3.25 hours (Interlaken Ost – Zweisimmen – Montbovon – Broc-Fabrique)

You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trips:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 13:08:36 #868957

Dear Alpenrose

Thank you very much for your reply. I will better follow the other route on Friday as I have other plans on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Kindly suggest further, Will I be able to visit Chillon castle and lake Geneva on the same day? And whether Chaplin’s Museum is covered in the Swiss pass?

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 August 2017 at 18:17:20 #868958

Hi Kanika,

I assume you plan to visit the cheese factory, the medieval town of Gruyères and the chocolate factory as that’s what the Chocolate Train excursion includes besides the train ride. As a day trip from Interlaken that is a full day with no time left for anything else I’d say. You can check the timetable that Alpenrose mentioned to see how long all trips take.

Chaplin’s World is not included in the Swiss Travel Pass.

Enjoy your day trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2017 at 21:57:01 #868959

Dear Arno

Thanks for the reply. you assumed correctly. I do intend to visit Gruyeres and Broc. thanks for all the information. I hope to make the best of it!

Thanks

• The thread ‘Day trip from Interlaken to Chocolate train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.