Jungfrau Travel Pass discount with STP Flex?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 5:04:48 #814667

Hi,

We are family of 3, 2 adults and 1 kid aged 3.5 years. We are in Switzerland from 7th – 12th June. We will stay at Luzern for 3N, Wengen 2N, Zurich 1N.

I’ve already complete my itinerary, and the following details are :

7th June D-1 : early morning Majestic Mt. Rigi, noon quick visit to Colmar.

8th June D-2 : day trip to Oeschinen Lake.

9th June D-3 : Luzern to Wengen. Go to Grindelwald (First) for First Cliff Walk and hike to Bachalpsee Lake. Night at Wengen.

10th June D-4 : Jungfraujoch, Lauterbrunnen, Murren and Gimmelwald.

11th June D-5 : Mannlichen. Lake Brienz Boat tour, off to Zurich, staying at Ibis Budget Zurich Airport. Night at Zurich (Ibis Budget Zurich Airport).

12th June D-6 : Ibis Budget Zurich Airport – Glatbrugg Unterriet – Zurich Flughafen. Morning flight to Stockholm.

I’m considering to use the Swiss Travel Flex Pass (STP Flex) 3 Days for 7th – 8th June and 11th June. And use Jungfrau Travel Pass (JTP) 3 Days for 9th – 11th June.

I’ve downloaded the XL sheet, and have entered all possible passes. I’ve calculated and I thought using the STP Flex 3 Days & JTP 3 Days already get the cheapest price. Because I thought JTP will be discounted if we have STP.

I sent email to info.jungfrau to make sure my thought are correct, and ask about reduction on JTP if I have a STP Flex. The answer is : “No you don’t get reduction on the pass. Only if do you fill in 3 days in your pass for the 3 day pass.”

But I still don’t understand clearly what it means. Which I understand is if I have a STP 3 Days then I can buy the JTP 3 Days. So in my case I can’t get discount for JTP, is it right?

If I can’t combine the STP Flex and JTP, which pass is more suitable for us? With the consideration our itinerary esp. in Jungfrau regions is uncertain as it depends on the weather.

Appreciate any help to make clear about combine STP and JTP for my trip.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 5:42:50 #878089

Hello Natalia,

I got as far as “quick visit to Colmar” and wondered if you had used the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. Lucerne to Colmar is close to a 5 hour round trip. But I’m an elder person so I guess my idea of a long day of travel is probably much less than yours.

You would definitely be better visiting Oeschinen Lake from Wengen than from Lucerne. Lucerne to Kandersteg is another 5 hour round trip before you even head up to the lake.

What time does you flight leave from Stockholm? If not to early you may be better staying in Luzern. It is only 1 hour to the airport. If you could do that than then maybe you could look at doing the Jungfrau Region first and then 2 nights at Lucerne?

Have you read the discounts section on this page? http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/price? You can’t get discount on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex on days when you haven’t filled in the date to travel so it won’t work as you envisage.

At a rough guess you would be far better with an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass (not Flex) at CHF398 that is cheaper than a 3-day STP Flex and a 3-day JTP combined. The convenience of the single STP is worth it’s weight in gold in my opinion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 7:07:13 #878090

We will traveling from Munich at 6th June16.15 so will be arrived at Luzern around 21.00-22.00. That’s why we choose stay at Luzern for 3N.

Yes I’m still consider about my trip to Oeschinen. I include this trip because I want to maximize the STP Flex (Because I think about joining STP Flex and JTP). The first itinerary that I make is :

7th June : day trip to Colmar & Eguisheim

8th June : Majestic Mt. Rigi trip and explore Luzern

My flight is 10.30. I think I should arrive 2-3 hours before departure. So I was thinking of staying near the airport. But thanks for the suggestion, I will consider it.

About the JTP, I still can’t fully understand. For example, if I have a STP 3 days for 7-9 June, can I buy JTP with reduction price on date 9 June for activated on date 9-11 June?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:26:21 #878091

Hi NataliaA,

Two hours before departure to a European city in the Schengen zone is definitely sufficient. Zurich airport is pretty small and very fast to navigate.

Your Swiss Travel Pass Flex must be valid for all dates you are using the Jungfrau Travel Pass. IE all dates must overlap for the discount. It is noted on the link Rockoyster gave you above.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:39:29 #878092

Ah.. it’s clear for me now.. So the JTP with reduction with STP Flex will be valid if dates all overlap. Thanks Lucas!

And just to make it clear too. How about if I have Swiss Travel Pass (not Flex). For example if I have 3 days Swiss Travel Pass for date 7-9 June, and I want to buy Jungfrau Travel Pass for date 9-11 June. Whether the 25% discount applies for the Jungfrau Travel Pass since I have a valid Swiss Travel Pass?

Thank you for information about Zurich airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:50:32 #878093

The Swiss Travel Pass must be valid at time of travel to get the discount on the Jungfrau Travel Pass. It can sometimes make sense to do this on the STP. But it rarely makes financial sense with the STP Flex.

The most common combination is the Swiss Half Fare Card + the Jungfrau Travel Pass (as the SHFC is valid for 30 days so it is easy to overlap dates and not spend extra money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 9:09:02 #878094

So 25% discount will applies if :

1. Swiss Travel Pass Flex must be valid for all dates I am using the Jungfrau Travel Pass, and

2. Swiss Travel Pass must be valid at time of travel (not all dates)

Is my thought right?

Sorry for asking again, just to make sure with my budget and not spend extra money on unnecessary pass.

Thanks in advance Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 9:11:25 #878095

Hi Natalia,

You are seriously overthinking it. Get an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass. Just my opinion. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 9:15:27 #878096

Hahaha yes I’m seriously very detail planner 😂 Thanks for your suggestion. I will compare the 8 days with half-fare card now. Thanks a lot Rockoyster! 😁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 12:36:06 #878097

Yes,

The STP and STP Flex must be valid on all dates you use the discounted Jungfrau Travel Pass for. If you want the JTP for June 9-11, then the STP must also be valid for June 9-11.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 16:07:58 #878098

Thank you Lucas. It helps me a lot 🙂

• The thread ‘Jungfrau Travel Pass discount with STP Flex?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.