Can we buy multiple Saver Day Passes?

• daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    6 July 2018 at 4:57:20 #817117

Hi all,

I have 2 questions regarding Saver Day Pass:

1) Is it possible for us to buy multiple Saver Day Passes for a few days (more than a day)?

Example: Can we buy 1x Saver Day Pass on July 9th, 1x Saver Day Pass on July 12th, 1x Saver Day Pass on July 13th?

2) In terms of the coverage (not talking about other limitation like no refund, etc), does the Saver Day Pass cover the same map/train/boat routes as the Swiss Travel Pass does? For example, I know that we can travel for free for some of the cross-country routes such as the Domodossola -> Brig -> Zermatt ride. Will Saver Day Pass cover these routes for free as well? If it covers less routes, what are the those routes that are not covered as compared to Swiss Travel Pass?

Thanks,

daifei888

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2018 at 5:47:46 #890387

Hi Daifei888,

You can buy multiple Saver Day Passes. In many cases the Saver Day Pass is best used for single occasional longer day trips, or as an add-on to a Swiss Travel Pass, e.g. to get a 9th day after an 8-day pass. Buying multiple Saver Day Passes – even assuming they will be available for the lowest price – isn’t the best option in most cases as it does not cover mountain transport which is the most expensive part of most itineraries. So it depends on your exact travel plans, and if you’re not doing any traveling/excursions on July 10 and 11. Please read http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details, particularly “Is the Saver Day Pass my best option?”.

To see what’s included, please see the link under “More on other websites” on that page. To see what’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    6 July 2018 at 6:50:37 #890388

Thanks Arno.

But I am still a bit confused.

I was looking at the Synoptic map (PDF) that I downloaded from SBB website.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

It seems to me that the the Saver Day Pass covers exactly the same routes (travel for free) as the Swiss Travel Pass does.

However, when I was checking on the ticket price on SBB for Grindelwald -> Interlaken Ost -> Bern -> Zurich Flughafen, there is an option for % discount (at the bottom of the page) using Saver Day Pass. It shows that if one buys a standard individual ticket from Grindelwald to Zurich Flughafen, the fare is CHF 85.20. But if he chooses the % discount (with Saver Day Pass), there is a reduction of CHF33.20, makes the discounted fare of CHF52.

Here is the confusion as Saver Day Pass is supposed to entitle the traveler a free ride from Grindelwald all the way to Zurich Flughafen, right? If this reduction/discount is meant for “Supersaver tickets” that is tied to a certain train only, then I can understand it.

Hope to get some clarification here.

Thanks,

daifei888

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 16:01:03 #890389

The validity areas are the same for travel between towns. Discounts to the mountains aren’t available on the Saver Day Pass (except to Rigi where it is free). https://www.myswissalp s.com/rigi

The fare isn’t chf52 with the Saver Day Pass. The website is suggesting you buy the Saver Day Pass for 52chf, instead of a ticket (thereby saving you 33.20chf).

This is only in the case that you can buy the Saver Day Pass at it’s lowest price which isn’t always available.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    9 July 2018 at 9:09:02 #890390

Hi Lucas,

Noted, I understand now, thanks! (about the suggestion to buy Saver Day Pass at 52CHF).

I saw from the SBB website that the lowest price of Saver Day Pass is 39CHF (for dates that are nearly 55-60 days ahead). Has the minimum price gone up from 29CHF to 39CHF (I read some were saying that the lowest we could get is 29CHF).

Thanks,

daifei888

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 11:57:12 #890391

>> I saw from the SBB website that the lowest price of Saver Day Pass is 39CHF (for dates that are nearly 55-60 days ahead). Has the minimum price gone up from 29CHF to 39CHF (I read some were saying that the lowest we could get is 29CHF).

Those lower prices are only available for people who also have a Swiss Half Fare Card (for tourists) or Half-Fare travelcard (for Swiss residents)

Passengers with one of the half-fare cards can sometimes get a Saver Day Pass for CHF 29. Prices fluctuate. My guess is that the CHF 29 tickets are only available when demand is a bit lower.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:20:41 #890392

Yes, I do see 39chf with the half fare travelcard discount but 29chf is pretty rare these days!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 23:46:00 #890393

39 was the minimum for me for a trip last week, but I took the 1st class – much cheaper than the 90+ CHF ay pass of old.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    10 July 2018 at 6:03:45 #890394

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

I agree with what you guys said. I think CHF29 (with the half fare card) is really rare now, at least I don’t see it for Sept yet.

thanks,

daifei888

• The thread ‘Can we buy multiple Saver Day Passes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.