Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Can you climb Mt Pilatus in a summer afternoon?

Can you climb Mt Pilatus in a summer afternoon?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
SR1000
SR1000
49 posts
Jul 18, 2019 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

This forum has helped me a lot during my family vacation 3 years ago and I am hoping to get some help again.

This time I will be in Lucerne alone on a Business Trip and have 0.75 day to spare. I will be flying from India reaching Zuric early morning (6:15am) on Monday, August 5th . Hoping to checkin and refresh at the most by 11am at a hotel in Lucerne.

I am eager to climb Mt Pilatus via Aemsigen, but couple questions:

1. Can I start in the afternoon (around 12 noon) and still manage to get the gondola/cog rail on the way back? When is the last gondola/cog rail? I understand it takes about 5-6 hours.

2. Is it safe to go alone? I assume just like all the trails, this trail is also well marked.

3. If this is not feasible, any alternate trail/hike I can do? Have climbed Mt Rigi in the last trip.

Fitness Level: I have done few high altitude treks (up to 19300 ft) in the Himalayas including Everest Base Camp.

Hoping to get some good advice again.

Thanks

Steph
Steph
2039 posts
top member &
Jul 18, 2019 - 1:14 PM in reply to SR1000

Hello SR1000,

Nice to hear you're making the most out of I business trip. I like the expression 0.75 days. :)

For input about the hike you mention use below link, providing information mainly in German, but routes, times, etc. are luckily international.
- www.bergwelten.com/t/w /25261

For general information about Mount Pilatus as well as to check the timetable for both cogwheel train and gondola see below links and the attached file.
- www.myswissalps.com/pi latus
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It's always safer to hike in a group of at least two, but lots of people hike alone, so you'll be fine. What I recommend is such cases is to inform your hotel staff about your plans for the day, just in case!
www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparation

See alternatives hikes in the Lucerne area here:
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities, hikes are at the bottom of the page

Get back to us anytime for further support.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Jul 18, 2019 - 1:15 PM by Steph
Please login to see the attached documents
SR1000
SR1000
49 posts
Jul 18, 2019 - 4:27 PM

Thank you so much for quick response and information. Now I only hope the weather cooperates :)

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019