Can you help me understand SBB companion ticket?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 7:47:33 #859712

Hi Danica21 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like if you have a Swiss Half-Fare Card, you can then buy a companion pass for your partner to use on one day only for 38CHF.

How many days of traveling are you planning on? If more than one day (I assume it is if you are planning on buying a HFC) it may me more economical to get your companion a HFC as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 14:42:27 #859713

Thanks so much Lucas! We are planning to be in Switzerland for 6 days/nights. The itinerary is to arrive in Zurich (day 1), train to Lucerne the next day (day 2), train to Interlaken the day after (day 3), go on day trips/excursions near Interlaken (Jugfraujoch, Murren, etc.)(day 4 and 5) and then train back to Zurich (day 6) and fly home (day 7). I am trying to decide whether to get the HFC or the Swiss rail pass. Any suggestions there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 16:30:21 #859714

Hi Danica21,

You may be best served by the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass – however if that is out of reach the Swiss Half-fare Card would be your next best option I think. Read through our pages on these cards to see exactly what routes they cover fully or offer a discount.

You can read our page on “how to choose the best Swiss rail pass” and open the excel document that can help you do the math on figuring out exact price comparisons. You won’t know for sure until you decide on which trains you will take on each day so you can compare.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Can you help me understand SBB companion ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.