Does anyone know where this image was taken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 0:55:29 #813989

Hi All!

I found this photo somewhere on the University of St Gallen website while creating my itinerary. I have reached out to numerous tourism bureaus to try and determine where this is and how to get there.

Is this covered area a trail? Is it accessible to the public? Is it accessible in early May? How do I get there?

I’ve been unable to find anything online to answer these questions. I know these mountains are Churfirsten, but that is about all I know.

One bureau advised me to go to Schwagalp Santis Schwebebahn, take the cable car up the mountain, and this is the view from Old Santis. Is this correct?

I haven’t been able to get any information about the covered ‘trail’, that I would love to find out more about.

Thank you for your help!

Lana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:21:34 #873955

Hi Lana,

Sorry I can’t help but I hope someone can. I’m interested to know.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 0:03:38 #873956

Hi Lana –

The view is definitely from the north or northeast. The Churfirsten border the north shore of the Walensee.

map.search.ch/S%C3%A4n tis?pos=745872,226608&z=16

Säntis is about 10-12 km from there ( straight line.)

Have you searched “Säntis”? Not Santis. If you can’t do umlauts, then you can write Saentis. However, most search engines are tolerant, and will accept the misspelling.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 January 2018 at 2:43:23 #873957

Hi Lana,

If you want an ä using an American keyboard, just hold down your alt key and type the numbers 1 3 2 in succession. If you want an umlaut on the letter u, do alt 129, like this ü.

As for the photo, those are indeed part of the Churfirsten, as seen from the Säntis, looking to the south south-west. I modified your photo by adding the names to the various peaks. They are so unique, whether viewed from the top of the Säntis, the valley to south of the Säntis, and even from the south, with them rising steeply from the north shore of the Walensee. Off to the left of your photo is the Chäserrugg, where a Roundshop panoramic camera is installed. chaeserrugg.roundshot. com/

The Churfirsten were also featured in a panoramic set of postage stamps issued by the PTT. See this article from the Swiss Post magazine: http://www.magazine-focus-on-stamps.ch/archive/focu s-on-stamps-2-2017/churfirsten/

As you can probably see, I have always loved this corner of Switzerland, having first visited it when I was a teenager and when the facilities on the top of the Säntis were much more primative than they are today.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 3:15:04 #873958

Ah ha. Thanks to Slowpoke and Peterlii I found another photo of the covered walkway. Scroll down a few pictures on this page http://www.momstotszurich.com /2009/09/santis-mountain-peak.html/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 4:45:49 #873959

This is wonderful!!! Thank you so much Slowpoke, Peterli and rockoyster!

You guys are truly amazing!

Yes this region looks absolutely incredible, I cannot wait to experience it firsthand.

Mystery solved! Again, thank you so much!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 15:07:29 #873960

Hi Petrli-

<<“If you want an ä using an American keyboard, just hold down your alt key and type the numbers 1 3 2 in succession. If you want an umlaut on the letter u, do alt 129, like this ü.”>>

As far as I can tell, you can get such high ASCII characters only if you use the numbers on a numeric keypad. The numbers across the top of the keyboard don’t do that. There are other techniques, which I am trying out.

Why?

I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, chosen because it has a keyboard.

It does not have a numeric keypad. I have experimented with various options to get characters such as ü and Ä, and ß, as needed.

Currently, on the Surface only, I am switching to the German keyboard, which is easily accessible in Windows 10.

Numeric keypad accessories are a clumsy solution, and don’t work as expected.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 January 2018 at 18:46:15 #873961

Hi Slowpoke,

You are absolutely correct about the numbers along the top of a keyboard not working with alt codes. When I was shopping for my laptop seven years ago, one of my priorities was to have a keypad on the right side of the keyboard. I bought a French version so that many accents are done with a single stroke, such as ç and é and è, others work with shift plus one stroke, like ë or ü, and the others with the alt key and a short sequence of numbers.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 19:22:28 #873962

Hi Peterli-

<<“shopping for my laptop seven years ago”>>

Yep. My HP laptop, which I use for presentations and on the road when consulting, has a numeric keypad.

My need for leisure travel was met for years by an ASUS PCee “ultrabook” which is now dying, and underpowered. It, too ,lacked a numeric keypad. The tablet is for leisure travel. The Microsoft Surface Pro has a detachable keyboard ( which they call a Type Cover.) A true keyboard was my essential demand, at a notable increase in cost. Unfortunately, it has no numeric keypad. I can buy a German language type Cover for around 180 CHF/USD. Too much.

So, work arounds are being tested.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 21:10:28 #873963

Hi Slowpoke,

Isn’t there a Windows feature which enables creation of custom keyboard shortcuts? So for example with suitable “programming” by entering Alt + > + o you could get ö etc.

Mac and iOS offer the character accents simply by holding the character key down and selecting from a range of accents.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 21:40:14 #873964

There is specialized software for reassigning keys. Hotkey, for example.

I don’t know the Windows feature that you mention. Can you point me to it? The ones that I know ..beyond the ones that require a numeric keypad…. do often require numbers from the top of the keyboard. They work on MS Word, for example, but not in 2 different fora ( this one included) .

And, this forum software definitely does not conform to Widows standards.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 21:53:46 #873965

How about . . . http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as px?id=22339

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 January 2018 at 22:16:20 #873966

Thanks.

But, that link gave me an Error 404.”

This link gave options-

support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-ASCII-or-Unicode-Latin-based-symbols-and-characters-d13f58d3-7bcb-44a7-a4d5-972ee12e50e0

The “Unicode” option works with regular keyboard numbers, seems not to require a numeric keypad but not in a few fora, including this one.

Actually, in WIN 10 on that tablet, it takes fewer key strokes and mouse clicks to use the German keyboard.

One click and the keyboard is there. Press the proper key. One key stroke. Then, one more click and back to English. You can do it again or copy the high ASCII character once you have it.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 22:26:30 #873967

Odd, link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.as px?id=22339 works OK for me.

Also the forum edit button to left of Zoom (Omega is it?) above the text input box gives you a range of special characters including ö or ä.

• The thread ‘Does anyone know where this image was taken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.