Car or train? Jungfrau Region or Zermatt? Help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 14:12:06 #813140

Hi! We are leaving from Boston on October 2, arriving in Geneva on the 3rd around 5:45pm, then we fly from Geneva to Paris on Thursday, October 5 at 4:30. We don’t have much time at all, so we are trying to plan what’s the best method of travel (and cheapest), as well as the best places to see while in Switzerland. We are thinking about renting a car and driving simply because it’s cheaper, but I don’t know what to expect driving on those roads.

Plan A: Drive from Geneva to Bern the first night, then take off early the next morning for Wengen. Make our way back to Geneva on Thursday. We’d like to see Schilthorn Restaurant, early morning on Thursday since there’s a discount before 9am.

Plan B: Drive from Geneva to Montreux and stay the first night. Drive to Zermatt the next day. Make our way back to Geneva on Thursday.

Also, how’s the weather in the beginning of October? Does it ever snow? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 September 2017 at 14:27:31 #869259

Welcome to MySwissAlps Rachelm7!

I’d strongly recommend taking advantage of the excellent train system in Switzerland. Wengen and most of the Jungfrau Region are car-free, as is Zermatt. You would not be able to use the car for sightseeing and need to travel by train/cable cars for local trips anyway. Apart from that I’d personally would not like to drive in unknown territory immediately after a long flight, but rather enjoy the views from a train. But that’s a personal preference of course. This page provides more details to help you choose: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

The weather in early October can be really nice and not too cold, but chilly rainy days are possible as well. Snow in the valleys is very unlikely. You just don’t know until you’ve checked the forecast 1 to 2 days ahead of time. Because of that uncertainty and the short duration of your stay I’d prefer Wengen over Zermatt. Both areas are absolutely stunning, but Zermatt is at the end of a long valley with not so many bad weather options. From Wengen, a boat trip from Interlaken or day trips to Lucerne or Bern would be possible if a trip into the mountains is no option.

On the way back to Geneva you can take the scenic Golden Pass line.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 September 2017 at 20:11:18 #869260

Hi.

As Arno has already suggested, the trains are the way to go. You get to see so much more and you don’t have to bother with parking or gas prices.

As far as chosing between Wengen and Zermatt, my personal choice would be Wengen because there is more to see in the area and i find the trip there more interesting. Either way, take the train.

Have fun

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 14:41:41 #869261

Thanks so much for your help!!

• The thread ‘Car or train? Jungfrau Region or Zermatt? Help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.