Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Car rental for family of 5 in Switzerland for Dec

Car rental for family of 5 in Switzerland for Dec

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Hanspeter
Hanspeter
1 post
Mar 8, 2020 - 3:56 PM

We were planning to visit Switzerland as a family of five in June - July and rent a car for travel purposes. We are thinking of postponing to December. Is is wise to rent and drive car in winter time in Switzerland?

regards.

Suzanne
Suzanne
344 posts
top member
Mar 8, 2020 - 5:24 PM

Hello Hanspeter,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would suggest that you read the following links about driving in Switzerland and make your decision from there. I personally think traveling by train in Switzerland is wonderful because you can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I also think driving in the snow and in the alps should not be underestimated. Please read the following links for your reference:

I have also included a search box link about driving in Switzerland during winter:

Good luck!

Suzanne

Last modified on Mar 9, 2020 - 9:23 AM by Steph
1960man
1960man
2692 posts
top member
Mar 9, 2020 - 12:07 AM in reply to Hanspeter

For irregular visitors to Switzerland, a car is a sound idea in summer, but not in December. In summer the benefit of a car is that you can drive yourself to mountain passes, lakeshore locations etc and have a picnic or park near a beach. Neither of these works in December so you may as well use the train.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7514 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2020 - 2:39 AM in reply to Hanspeter

Hi Hanspeter-

<<"Is is wise to rent and drive car in winter time in Switzerland?">>

What part of Switzerland do you wish to visit? Many parts are no problem in December, but higher altitudes definitely are.

So, as your question is stated, it cannot be answered.

Slowpoke

Annaroccova
Annaroccova
1 post
Mar 9, 2020 - 1:46 PM

Можно ли взять напрокат такие автомобили, как жуки, для поездок по бездорожью и есть ли места в Швейцарии для таких поездок? Или там обычные поездки на снегоходах?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7514 posts
expert
Mar 9, 2020 - 1:57 PM in reply to Annaroccova

Пожалуйста, пишите по-английски. Это официальный язык форума.

www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules

Slowpoke

Snowman
Snowman
764 posts
top member
Mar 10, 2020 - 8:04 AM in reply to Annaroccova

Annaroccova,

I am not aware of any off-road opportunities for any type of vehicle in Switzerland. Nor of any snowmobile tours.

Snownan

Snowman
Snowman
764 posts
top member
Mar 10, 2020 - 8:08 AM in reply to Hanspeter

In december most roads open to traffic should be snow free, but you never know. Generally speaking, the very efficient public transport system is preferable, for the reasons detailed in Suzanne's post.

Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Mar 10, 2020 - 10:22 AM in reply to Snowman

Hello everyone,

Getting back to the snow mobiles mentioned in this thread there is the opportunity to ride them (whereas NOT off-road) in certain places, such as e.g. Engelberg and Mount Titlis or in the area of St. Moritz:
- www.titlis.ch/en/activity/detail/snowXpark/4485/106166
- www.eventerlebnis.ch/en/event/ride-a-snowmobile/
- www.hb-as.ch/en/winter

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Mar 10, 2020 - 10:22 AM by Steph

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020