One-way car rental from Interlaken to France?

• iaywml
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 July 2018 at 5:11:19 #817086

Hello!

I will be travelling to Switzerland with my siblings in the coming week. We are flying in via Zurich, then visiting Lucerne and Interlaken first.

On the 16th, my brother has to be in Bourg St Maurice by 2pm for work-related activities. Given that the trains take about 8 hours, we were hoping for a faster alternative such as car rental instead.

Could someone advise if this (car rental) is the best and fastest option? If so, are there any rental companies that allow car pick-up in Interlaken ans car drop-off in Bourg St. Maurice?

Would really appreciate any advice, thank you!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 14:42:33 #890257

Hi iaywml and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Some rental companies will allow one way rentals to other countries but many won’t. If they do they will charge you a lot for the privilege. I wouldn’t think it is worth saving the 3 or so hours you’ll get from driving. If you do rent a car I’d try to plan the trip so you can return it in Switzerland at least, in not Interlaken again.

What are your plans after Bourg St Maurice?

iaywml
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 July 2018 at 14:45:36 #890258

Hello Lucas!

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes I have searched on some car rentals and they are really pricey.

After Bourg St Maurice we will be headed to Lyon before going to Lausanne/Geneva!

I figured that we should take the train in spite of the 8 hour journey. However, my concern now is whether we will be able to use our Swiss Travel Pass Flex for part of the journey up to Geneva. If so, will we have to purchase our tickets from Geneva to Bourg St Maurice at Geneva station itself, or will it be possible at the start of our journey in Interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 15:49:40 #890259

You could train to Geneva, rent your car there and return it there later? That might work.

Otherwise yes, you can buy the ticket for Geneva to Bourg St Maurice from Interlaken without issue.

iaywml
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 July 2018 at 16:28:34 #890260

I believe our best option for now will be the train then. Thank you very much for your help regarding this matter!

I would also like to ask something regarding the Swiss Travel Pass Flex.

I intend to purchase our Swiss Travel Passes from HappyRail.com as it offers the cheapest price, however, I am unable to find the E-ticket printing option. When selecting E-ticket, it is addressed to my home address which is a bit odd. As such, I am quite hesitant to proceed with payment as of yet as I am unsure how I will receive the ticket. Do you have any advice regarding this?

Thank you very much

iaywml
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 July 2018 at 16:34:32 #890261

ah, don’t mind my previous question regarding the rail pass as I have already figured out why! Thank you once again for your help (:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 18:51:05 #890262

Ok, happy travels!

• The thread ‘One-way car rental from Interlaken to France?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.