Car rental in Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 17:07:41 #816847

I am thinking of renting an automatic car for one day in Geneva during my stay. We arrive on July 2nd and will rent a car on the 3rd to drive to Chamonix, Gruyere and Annecey or any other places that are close by and worth visiting.

1. Is it possible to rent a car from either the French or Swiss side at the airport by just going to the airport or can you only go to the French side right after arrival from your flight?

2. Do all Swiss cars have the autoroute sticker?

3. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 June 2018 at 11:30:17 #889249

Hi Sonu,

1. I’d suggest the Swiss side. Those cars come with the vignette so you can use the motorways on your way to Gruyères. For EU residents there are some limitations to taking a Swiss car into the EU (France), but that doesn’t apply to you.

2. Yes, so not if rented from the French side.

3. The places you mentioned are too much for one day. Be sure to check travel times and time to see/do what’s on your list. You would not need a car for a day to Gruyères.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 18:14:47 #889250

Hello Sonu

i recently rented a car for my Swiss holidays. It’s easy to hire from the airport, though rates may be cheaper if you go out of the airport but the you have to first find that place and spend money to reach to that place along with your family and luggage.

All Swiss cars already have a vignette wherein you don’t have to give any tolls except the Lochberg tunnel for zermatt. So just rent and drive on.

Not all cars have GPS. Some already have it and for some you have to pay extra. Just keep your mobile data running and handy, it should be sufficient.

Avoid taking car across the border. There may be restrictions or extra charges by the car company. When in 1 country use car of that country and take train or other mode when going to different country. It may be cheaper this way.

Takecare

• The thread ‘Car rental in Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.