How to reach car rental in Matten near Interlaken?

• Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    23 March 2019 at 13:59:14 #820551

I have rented a vehicle at Hertz in Interlaken. We will be arriving by train from Luzern via Brienz so Interlaken Ost will be the first train station we arrive at. The Hertz office is in Matten (Interlaken suburb). We will have a lot of luggage to lug. What is the best means of getting to the rental office; walking, bus, taxi, uber? This is my first trip to Switzerland and do not know the town well.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    23 March 2019 at 14:25:51 #907297

Hi Ouseler,

According to Google Maps you can take bus 104 from Interlaken Ost to within 200 meters of the office.

You can also use the SBB railways timetable and just enter the office address as your destination. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Of course if you prefer to avoid public transit you can take a taxi with your luggage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 1:34:51 #907298

The Hertz office is actually closer to Interlaken West station. A well known mapping tool… says 12 minutes walk. I’d be tempted to walk even with luggage as it may be no worse than lugging luggage into a taxi – taken in 2 minute ride then hoisting it all out again.

Note also that like many Swiss car rental locations, the Matten office is a licensee-run rental point – it is just a tiny office in a petrol station

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 March 2019 at 2:25:30 #907299

Check this map:

map.search.ch/Matten-bei-Interlaken,Hauptstr.4?poi=haltestelle,zug&po s=632418,170251&z=256

or, this one:

https://map.geo.admin. ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=true,false&E=26 32070.19&N=1170212.45& zoom=9

You may have to turn on transit stops. The aerial view is good, too.

The first gives more details if you mouse over the bus stop icon near the Hertz location.

It is possible for someone to get the car, then return to the station to pick up luggage and luggage watchers.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 March 2019 at 19:21:02 #907300

Hello,

I don’t know how many people are in your group, but since you have used the word “we” I am thinking that Slowpoke has made a good suggestion. You could leave everything with the “luggage-watchers” and walk to Hauptstrasse 4 in about 12 minutes, and then return to the train station to pick up everybody and everything with your rental. It’s only a 900 metre walk (see attached map courtesy of Google). There is an Agip petrol station and a Suzuki dealership at the same location as the Hertz agency. I also attach an image (also courtesy of Google) of what the building looks likes as you approach from the west. You can see the Hertz sign on the end of the building. Their parking lot is behind their repair shop in the building next to the dealership.

Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    28 March 2019 at 18:57:18 #907301

Thank you all for your information. This will be most helpful.

Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    29 March 2019 at 19:29:47 #907302

What are “luggage watchers”?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 March 2019 at 19:39:48 #907303

Hi Ouselers-

Sorry that I was not clear. Here is wah I was thinking.

One person in your party goes to get the car. You have very good instructions on how to do that. The others wait at the station, with the luggage. They watch the luggage, so that no one else takes it, until they and the luggage gets picked up by the person who gets the car.

Hope that helps

Slowpoke

Ouseler
    Participant
    20 posts
    29 March 2019 at 19:46:13 #907304

Slowpoke,

Yeah, I thought about that (it is only my wife and I). She is wanting to drive some also so we were planning on dragging our luggage along with us. I figure that the rental company will want to validate her as a driver as well and that means she will need to be there when we get it. Does the train station (Interlaken West) have lockers to leave luggage in? Even large pieces?

I really don’t relish the thought of lugging our bags with us.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    29 March 2019 at 20:34:48 #907305

Here’s what The Man in Seat 61 says about left luggage in Switzerland:

“Geneva, Basel SBB, Zurich HB, Bern, Lausanne, Montreux, Spiez, Interlaken Ost, Lucerne, Lugano, Chur, Visp, Brig & most other Swiss stations of any size have luggage lockers.

The price is usually CHF 6 for a small (24.8cm x 42cm x 75cm), CHF 9 for a large (44.7cm x 61.5cm x 88cm), per 24 hours.

Lockers are usually open throughout the period that the station is open, for example Zurich lockers are open 04:15-01:30 Mon-Fri, 00:00-24:00 weekends.

Zurich HB, Basel SBB, Bern, Geneva, Lausanne, Lucerne, Lugano, Chur, Zermatt, St Moritz, Pontresina, Davos Platz & a number of other stations have staffed left luggage offices. The office at Zurich HB is open 07:30-19:45 daily, Zermatt 07:00-20:00 daily, St Moritz 05:30-21:15 daily.

To check if there are left luggage lockers or a staffed left luggage office at any Swiss station, with locker sizes & prices or office opening hours, go to SBB. Click ‘en’ top right for English’. Click ‘Station & services’ then ‘Our rail stations’. Click ‘Find your station’ buried in the list on the left. Search for your station, then click on ‘Equipment’ and look down for ‘Lockers’. If there’s a staffed left luggage office, it will be shown under ‘Services’ as ‘Left luggage office’.”

I think that the best advice for you is to take a bus to very close to the car rental location or take a taxi. It’s a short trip so probably won’t cost that much.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 March 2019 at 1:54:26 #907306

My suggestion would not prevent your picking up your wife and returning to the Hertz office to add her name. Should only take a very few minutes, since they are close by, and they will remember you easily. You could simply tell them that you will be back for that purpose when you get the car.

Sometimes, for a spouse at the same home address, they will tell you that it is not necessary, but in my opinion it is better to do it anyway.

My opinion, anyway.

Slowpoke.

• The thread ‘How to reach car rental in Matten near Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.