Luggage while sightseeing & locker options

Luggage while sightseeing & locker options

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
pklele
pklele
9 posts
Sep 5, 2017 - 7:02 AM

Hi,

We are a group of 8 people and traveling from Interlaken to Geneva via Montreux. We are checking out of Interlaken, so we will have all suitcases - 4 large and 4 small. We want to see the Chillon castle and also some sightseeing in Geneva before boarding our train from Geneva to Paris at 4:30 PM.

If we rent lockers, we have to book at both Montreux and Geneva, with the inconvenience of carrying the luggage in train. The cost of lockers combining at 2 places might also come around 200-250 CHF.

The express luggage service option doesn't work for us since it says we can collect luggage after 6 PM, and in our case, we need to get it by 4 PM in Geneva.

Another option could be to rent a 9 seater van or 2 SUVs, one way rental from Interlaken to Geneva. This might cost a little more, may be around 400 CHF but has the convenience of keeping the luggage in the car and then likely a scenic drive. But not sure, how much worth the hassles of renting and driving it will be. I haven't found good one way rental options, so does anyone have suggestions?

Also, any other neat ideas to handle the luggage and travel in peace while sightseeing?

-pk

Last modified on Sep 5, 2017 - 7:50 AM by pklele
rockoyster
rockoyster
3401 posts
expert
Sep 5, 2017 - 7:59 AM in reply to pklele

Hi pklele,

Medium lockers are CHF6 and large are CHF9 at Montreux. Probably similar at Geneva so you are up for CHF120 for lockers. There may be some other form of bulk baggage storage option at Geneva and Montreux. I'm not sure.

I guess it depends whether you are travelling with some sort of Swiss Travel Pass (which I think you are) as to whether the car option is in anyway cost-effective.

My experience with carrying luggage (one medium suitcase and 1 backpack each for my wife and I) during a 20 day tour in May/June this year is that it was no problem. But then I had an itinerary which took us from base to base rather than doing in-transit sight-seeing.

Also have a care for the designated driver who won't get to enjoy much of the scenery. 😇

Last modified on Sep 5, 2017 - 8:01 AM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
5650 posts
expert &
Sep 5, 2017 - 10:02 AM in reply to pklele

Yes, assuming you all have a Swiss Travel Pass then I would do the luggage locker (or left luggage office) at the rail stations. I think the rental car option is prohibitively expensive especially with one-way travel.

Lucas

pklele
pklele
9 posts
Sep 5, 2017 - 5:08 PM

Thanks rockoyster and Lucas. Yes, we all have swiss travel passes.

I checked the montreux train station locker info at www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/bahnhof.1300. html. It says there are 32 small and 24 large lockers. We would need 5 small and 5 large, any info on availability of the lockers. We would be occupying 20-25% of those, so I am wondering what are our chances of getting them!

Arno
Arno
10358 posts
expert &
Sep 6, 2017 - 1:50 PM

Hi Pk,

There's a baggage office too. It might be more convenient to drop your bags there. The lockers indeed may or may not be available if you need 10 of them. They're open from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM and a bit longer during weekdays.

Last modified on Sep 6, 2017 - 1:51 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018