Car travel from Lauterbrunnen to Lugano in May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
coyote
coyote
6 posts
Feb 5, 2018 - 11:10 PM

I will be driving on Thursday, May 3, 2018, from Lauterbrunnen to Lugano. Question: how will I know which direction to travel (road thru Gotthard Tunnel or road thru Grimsel Pass, etc.) to get to Lugano? Any chance I would be blocked both ways?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Feb 6, 2018 - 10:32 AM in reply to coyote

Hi coyote,

I've been a few times to Lugano around the same time and I always took the tunnel because the pass was closed. I think most passes only open mid to late May. On this page we link to other websites where you can have a look at current road pass conditions.

coyote
coyote
6 posts
Feb 6, 2018 - 10:54 AM in reply to Chantal

Thanks for your response. Looking at the recommended website for current road conditions it appears the roads (passes) are all blocked currently and probably for sometime yet. Where is the road that takes you thru the Gotthard tunnel? Obviously, I am not familiar with the area and need a little more help understanding and seeing the direction I'll be travelling.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Feb 6, 2018 - 12:46 PM in reply to coyote

I think the best way is to take the A8 and then the A2 where the Gotthard tunnel is. It feels a bit weird since you're driving up north first, but this way you'll avoid any passes.

coyote
coyote
6 posts
Feb 6, 2018 - 12:48 PM in reply to Chantal

Once again, thanks for your info and help.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Feb 6, 2018 - 1:02 PM in reply to coyote

Have a safe trip.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018