Carbon monoxide detectors in hotels in Switzerland

• Michael_Susa
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 September 2019 at 10:51:23 #823988

Hi

Does Swiss law require hotels to have carbon monoxide detectors in all hotel rooms?

Thank you for the information.

Kind Regards,

Susan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    26 September 2019 at 21:48:30 #922694

Hi Michael Susa

I don’t know the law on carbon monoxide detectors in Switzerland, but I have never seen a carbon monoxide detector in any of the Swiss hotel rooms that we have stayed in over the past 30 years.

I would not have thought them to be necessary as most of the heating systems seem to be run on electricity or a central heating system rather than solid fuel or gas appliances in the hotel room. All rooms have been fitted with smoke detectors.

We are private landlords in the UK and, by law, have to fit carbon monoxide detectors in rooms where there is a solid fuel appliance or gas boiler, but not in the bedrooms or rooms with radiators running off the central heating system or where electrical storage heaters are fitted.

Jane

Anna
    6274 posts
    27 September 2019 at 7:03:24 #922695

Hi Michael Susa,

Thanks for bringing that up. It never crossed my mind. But I did some checking and apparently installing carbon monoxide detectors in hotel rooms is not prevalent here. The reason being, most buildings run on communal or central heating system which are non-fossil based. In other words, almost everything runs on electricity. Hardly anyone use gas for heating or cooking. I understand in the UK these detectors are more prevalent because most houses have their own boilers in the residential premise.

There are strict rules for electrical installations here and all hotels are required to carry out periodical checks.

If you encounter any emergencies, please contact the hotel you stay with directly or call the emergency numbers on this list:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Anna

• The thread ‘Carbon monoxide detectors in hotels in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.