Carrying luggage on Swiss trains with us

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 2:37:36 #817272

Hello MySwissAlps Team,

Couple of questions, if you call can help.

1. We are a family of 4 and will be taking a train from frankfurt to interlaken with 3 large suitcases (about 22 kgs or 50 lbs). Can we take these into the seating area to keep it close to us? I understand that there is designated spots for bikes, Is there designated areas for luggages on top of the overhead areas for carry ons?

2. The train (Looks like ICE) will be passing through the border city of Basel, will there be a train change or the train just stops for a while and keeps moving to Interlaken?

3. We plan to do be at Interlaken for a couple of days checking in a hotel, but after the 2 days, we will be doing the same (Carry those suitacases) to Lucerne, where we plan to spend 2 days checking in a hotel and again from Lucerne to Zurich and be in Zurich for one day before flying out to the USA.

Appreciate your responses

-RVMountain

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 9:14:36 #891381

Hi RVMountain,

1. There will be room for smaller carry-on luggage and purses above you. There will be luggage racks nearby for you to store large suitcases

2. You would probably change there yes, but there are direct trains as well. Most trains stop at both or one of Basel and Mannheim. If you’ve bought a ticket it should show any connections.

Otherwise, You can check the train connections on the Swiss railways timetable here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable – enter the date and time you depart Frankfurt to Interlaken, find your train, and it will show you the connections for your trip.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    15 July 2018 at 20:27:03 #891382

Why are you carrying so much luggage?

mestettler
    Participant
    27 posts
    16 July 2018 at 12:17:21 #891383

Hello RVMountains,

I have travel back and forth across Switzerland by train with luggage for the last two months. Although my luggage is not quite as heavy as yours, and probably a little bit smaller, I have had not trouble at all. I keep my small backpack with me in the seat (with anything I can not live without such as wallet, cash, SBB Swiss Half Tax card, cell phone, etc), put my luggage in the luggage area, and often can find a seat nearby to keep an eye on my bag. It’s a great way to travel.

• The thread ‘Carrying luggage on Swiss trains with us’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.