Cell phone on the hiker”s Haute Route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2015 at 16:16:45 #807869

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are hiking the hiker’s Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt from September 20-30. I have read in several places that it is a good idea to have a cell phone on this hike, in order to call ahead and make and confirm reservations in the huts for each night. However, cell phones from the United States don’t usually work in other countries.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple and inexpensive way to have a working cell phone during our days on the hike? Perhaps a cheap phone we buy in Switzerland, or something we get in the US before we leave?

Thanks!!!!

Juliann and Daniel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 September 2015 at 5:28:43 #845908

Hi Juliann and Daniel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! A phone is indeed a necessity. Not just to contact accommodation, but also to call for help if needed. You can have a look at http://www.onesimcard.com/int ernational-cell-phones/. They sell a $39.95 quad band phone that works nearly everywhere in the world (so you’d have a spare phone when you’re back in the US). You can add a “Europe & More” SIM card for $10 to make calls. That’s probably enough for your purpose, but you can recharge it on the go if needed. It comes with a travel plug adapter.

Note that mobile coverage in Switzerland is pretty good, but don’t count on it to work in all remote areas.

• The thread ‘Cell phone on the hiker”s Haute Route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.