Centovalli Express & Regio Lotschberger connection

• Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    22 June 2018 at 2:50:29 #816812

I want to take these trains between Locarno and Thun in September. Is there much advantage to getting the Z (Panoramic) Centovalli train? There’s one at 10.50, but we’d have to change at Domodossola and then again at Brig if we get that one.

The one at 11.50 isn’t panoramic, but after leaving it at Dommodossola we’d be able to go all the way from there to Thun on the Lotschberger. This would just be a bit easier with luggage, so if the panoramic Centovalli isn’t much better than the normal one, I think this is the one we should get.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:10:35 #889057

Hi Judy,

I liked the panoramic train personally: http://www.myswissalps.com/ce ntovalli. If you take the 10:50 you have a 20 minute connection time in Brig to get on the Lötschberger train which is a nice connection time with luggage.

Find the connection on the timetable, use Kandersteg as a VIA station. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

See some pictures of my trip on the train in March here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/tici no-region-trip-march-31-april-2

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:48:52 #889058

I did the same trip with luggage and found it was pretty tight at Dommodossola. There is a short walk between the Centrovalli and main line platforms.

Much of the trip between Brig and Spiez (Thun is a bit further on) will be in tunnel. Quite an experience. One of the world’s longest railway tunnels.

But if you would like to see some magnificent scenery, the traditional route via Kandersteg is recommended.

Enjoy your travels.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    22 June 2018 at 9:42:16 #889059

Yes, we’re intending to do the Lotschberger Express via Kandersteg. I just really need to know if the Panorama Centovalli train is a lot better than the normal Centovalli.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 13:16:06 #889060

I’ve only done the panoramic train and quite enjoyed it. So I can’t compare. But it is the same scenery of course. So if the luggage and transfer is a concern for you than you can take the regional train and probably not miss too much. 🙂

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    22 June 2018 at 21:03:21 #889061

Thanks Lucas

The trouble is that not many people seem to go on the Centovalli so there aren’t many reviews. We’ll probably take the Panoramic train and put up with changing trains twice, just in case it’s better than the normal train.

Another thing I’m not sure about is whether we can reserve seats on it ahead of time. I’ve read about paying a small supplement once you get on the train, but I’d rather reserve ahead if possible.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    22 June 2018 at 22:09:27 #889062

More information is available at

http://www.centovalli.ch/

And there is an option to view in English.

I’ve done the line twice and it is very enjoyable.

Seems most trains beyond Camedo are semi express with only a few local trips stopping all stations.

Enjoy your travels.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    22 June 2018 at 22:31:32 #889063

Thanks Gunzel

I’ve looked at that site but there’s nothing about reservations for the train. I don’t want to get to the station and find there are no seats left for the train we want to get, so I think we should reserve seats.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    22 June 2018 at 22:36:09 #889064

On the SBB site it says “seat reservation not possible”. So I guess that means it isn’t.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 2:50:55 #889065

>> I’ve looked at that site but there’s nothing about reservations for the train. I don’t want to get to the station and find there are no seats left for the train we want to get, so I think we should reserve seats.

Reservations are possible on most, but not all, Centovalli departures. They are possible on the 10:50 panoramic train from Locarno to Domodossola, and can be made on the Centovalli website at a cost of 5,50 Euro. You are a bit early for September reservations, as they are currently only available until 31 August.

Here is the link, and I have included some vocabulary to assist you in completing the transaction:

prenota.vigezzinacento valli.com/

• Travel document – choose Turistico
    • Nome – first name
    • Cognome – surname
    • Progressivo biglietto – in this field, put Swiss Travel Pass
    • The default is a return journey, so change it to single
    • From – Locarno FFS
    • To – Domodossola

The rest should be easy enough to follow.

At the end, what you get is a prenotazione internazionale – international reservation.

If you get the 10:50 train from Locarno, you arrive in Domodossola at 12:36. If you wanted to, instead of getting another train to Brig, a lot of which is in the Simplon Tunnel, you could get the Swiss PostBus #631 over the Simplon Pass to Brig instead.

This bus leaves Domodossola at 12:50, arriving at Brig at 14:31, and it is a very scenic trip through the mountains. If you are interested, you can read my trip report about it under the heading Saas-Fee to Locarno on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

I was travelling in the opposite direction.

Alpenrose

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    23 June 2018 at 4:23:44 #889066

Thanks for that information – very helpful.

The postbus route sounds interesting but it would make it a long day as I don’t think we’d make the 14.36 Lotschberger from Brig.

Regarding the Lotschberger, do you think I need to reserve seats on a Monday afternoon (24 September)? I’d rather not as then we can be more flexible with which one we get, but if there’s a chance of it being very crowded, maybe I should.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 6:32:44 #889067

Yes, there is a cash payment on the panoramic train of 1.50 euro or chf. Collected on board.

No need for reservations in late September no.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    23 June 2018 at 7:07:08 #889068

Hi Lucas

Alpenrose666 has given me a link to a site where I will eventually be able to reserve seats on the Centovalli Panorama train which I think I will do to be sure to get seats.

My last question pertained to the Lotschberger. I read Alpenrose’s trip report from Sept/Oct 2016 and she mentioned how crowded the Lotschberger train was.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 6:16:45 #889069

>> My last question pertained to the Lotschberger. I read Alpenrose’s trip report from Sept/Oct 2016 and she mentioned how crowded the Lotschberger train was.

That crowded train I boarded in Spiez had come from Bern and was heading to Brig, so most of the passengers had boarded before Spiez.

It was mid-morning on a Wednesday, so I don’t know what accounted for the crowd. However, a lot of them had got off the train by the time we were about half-way to Brig, so seats then became available.

You will be travelling in the opposite direction, and the timetable for next week is showing low occupancy for the departure time you have chosen from Brig. Anticipated occupancy levels for your travel date won’t be available until closer to the time.

If it will set your mind at ease, I would say just go ahead and reserve, as the cost is relatively little. Then that is one thing you no longer have to worry about.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Centovalli Express & Regio Lotschberger connection’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.