Swiss Central Alps PostBus day trips

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 3:35:57 #815473

I would like to take my 8 year old son on a Post Auto ride in the Central Alps this summer. We had always wanted to do this trip but somehow missed out…

I have a Halb-Abo card. My son has a Junior Travel Card.

There are possibility of two trips : all for the day and from Bern and back same day.

1. Meiringen and the 4 pass round trip

My question : Am told that the 4 pass round trip is free with the one day travel pass. So, can i buy a Saver Day pass for the day we plan to travel and take this round trip ex Bern since I already have a valid Halb- Abo ? And if this is ok, what extra ticket do I need to by for my son who has a Junior Card

2. Grindenwald to Meiringen via Grosse Scheidegg

My question : Am told that part of this trip between Oberer Gletscher and Schwarzwaldalp needs to be paid at 50% discount if one has a Day pass. Is this true for those that have a One day Saver pass too ? And what is for my son in this case please ?

Would also appreciate if there is any other scenic routes this summer which we can cover comfortably from Bern in a day

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 10:14:38 #882954

Hi Simbi, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. Correct. It is free with the 1-day travelpass or Saver Day Pass. These are two slightly different products. Click on the links for more information. If your son is traveling with the Junior Travel Card, you don’t need an additional ticket for him.
    2. You get a 50% discount with either pass. Your son will travel for free.

Do all the scenic routes have to be by PostBus or are you considering a boat trip as well?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 4:03:37 #882955

No, we would like to do the PostBus trips only. Family was in Thun before and so we had a good fun around both the Lakes on and off the boat. And in sunny and cloudy days !!

This is a trip I promise dmy son but somehow haven’t been able to do this since this is only in summer. This year will be there in early July and mid August : so will go for this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 7:44:13 #882956

>> 2. Grindenwald to Meiringen via Grosse Scheidegg … Am told that part of this trip between Oberer Gletscher and Schwarzwaldalp needs to be paid at 50% discount if one has a Day pass. Is this true for those that have a One day Saver pass too ?

With a Saver Day Pass, the bus route from Grindelwald to Schwarzwaldalp is not covered at all. From Schwarzwaldalp to Meiringen is free with the Saver Day Pass.

As you say you also have a “Halb-Abo” card, by which I assume you mean a Half-Fare travelcard (usually for Swiss residents), that will get you 50% discount from Grindelwald to Schwarzwaldalp.

By the way, make sure to reserve seats for both yourself and your son for the “Vierpässefahrt” (Four Passes Trip).

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/central-alps-passes-grimsel-nufenen-gotthard-susten-pass-route

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 11:31:50 #882957

>> With a Saver Day Pass, the bus route from Grindelwald to Schwarzwaldalp is not covered at all. From Schwarzwaldalp to Meiringen is free with the Saver Day Pass.

What I said there is not entirely correct. The validity map shows that transport within Grindelwald is covered by the Saver Day Pass.

So that means

• Grindelwald to Oberer Gletscher is free with the Saver Day Pass, as this is within the town bus limits.
    • Oberer Gletscher to Schwarzwaldalp is not covered by the Saver Day Pass (but a Swiss Half Fare Card, or Half-Fare travelcard for Swiss residents, will get you a 50% discount). That’s because this is a mountain route outside the town limits.
    • Schwarzwaldalp to Meiringen is free with the Saver Day Pass, because it is a PostBus route.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 13:29:37 #882958

Yes, thank you for all the advice. It seemed confusing to me when I tried working this out on my own. Now things are clearer given your suggestions.

My son is a Swiss citizen and we do have a home in Bern. Hence my “Halb-Abo” card. Pray that the weather is good on that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 10:17:32 #882959

May I add a question for Alpenrose concerning the Four Passes Trip, please?

How soon should I reserve seats for that Postbus trip? My husband and I would like to take that trip some time between the 30th June and 3rd July.

And thankyou, Alpenrose, for the fantastic trip report you posted about this 4 Pass bus trip in the Trip Reports (March 2017)!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 7:02:27 #882960

Hi Suki, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> How soon should I reserve seats for that Postbus trip? My husband and I would like to take that trip some time between the 30th June and 3rd July.

I’m not sure how far in advance you can reserve, but I just tried and it seems to be at least 90 days. When I did the trip, I only reserved a day or two in advance, but that was in September. Late June/early July might be a bit busier.

If you do reserve a long way in advance, keep an eye on the weather in the last few days beforehand, in case you need to change days because of unsuitable weather. When you receive your reservation, it has a link you can use if you need to cancel it. However, I would secure a new reservation before cancelling the existing one! Reservations are free.

>> And thankyou, Alpenrose, for the fantastic trip report you posted about this 4 Pass bus trip in the Trip Reports (March 2017)!!

Thank you – I’m glad you liked it, and I hope you enjoy the trip every bit as much as I did! I couldn’t have been luckier with the weather!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 7:38:14 #882961

Thanks for your answer, Alpenrose.

This forum has been a wonderful help for me in planning our 15 day holiday in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Swiss Central Alps PostBus day trips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.